The Nightmare

Also reddit

The Nightmare

In a dream, you managed to look at yourself in the mirror and from then on, you swore to never do it again.

-mikolasagna

Song: Nelly - Just A Dream

Running. I was running and I couldn't breathe. My sock-clad feet slapped the pavement harshly, ripping the fabric as I ran down the deserted road. I had no idea where I was or how I had gotten there, but I knew I shouldn't stick around. Something was chasing me, but I couldn't figure out what.

I tripped over my own feet and landed face first on the ground. Something grabbed my ankles and I screamed-

I shot up in bed, screaming and barely breathing. I looked around my dark room, barely registering that it was all just a dream. As my heart rate slowed, I realized what had awoken me: my cat jumping up and was laying down on my feet.

"Fucking cat scaring the hell out of me," I grumbled testily and flopped back in my pillows.

I somehow managed to drift off into a more peaceful sleep only to be woken up again a few hours later by my little sister.

"Meagan, Meagaaan," she whisper-whined while poking my arm.

"What do you want, runt?" I muttered without opening my eyes.

"I had a nightmare."

Her too?

I sighed and opened my eyes, pulling the blanket and sheet back. "Get in."

She giggled happily and clambered up on my bed, snuggling deeply into my arms. "Night, night, sissy."

I rolled my eyes. "Night, Priscilla. Get some sleep. We have to get up for school pretty soon," I mumbled as I took in the time on my alarm clock. 3 AM. Great.

My alarm clock went off three hours later and I groaned, rolling over and hitting the off button. I looked over at my little sister, who had managed to get on the opposite side of where she had gone to sleep - how, I didn't know - and shook her lightly.

"Wake up, Priscilla. It's time to get ready for school."

She whined, never opening her eyes. "Don' wanna."

I rolled my eyes and got up, leaving her in bed. I trekked into the bathroom and turned the cold water on in the tub and put the stopper in. I turned it off when there was about four inches of water in the bottom and went to retrieve my eight-year-old sister from my room.

I picked her up and toted her back into the bathroom, carefully laying her in the water and jumping back as she sprang out of the tub screaming.

"What is going on up there?" Our mom demanded from downstairs.

"Nothing!" I replied as the little snitch screamed, "Mommy, Meagan dropped me in cold water again!"

I glared at her. "You little brat!" I hissed.

"Meagan Rose Daniels, get down here right this instant!" She yelled at me.

I rolled my eyes and stomped all the way out of the bathroom, down the hall, down the stairs, and into the living room. "Yes, Mother?" I asked timidly.