Chapter two- She's A Handsome Woman

"Okay. You should know the rules by now, but I'll go over them once more just in case. This fight is strictly taijutsu. No weapons, or other abilities allowed. Your aim is to pin your opponent, nothing more." Sensei gave us a stern look, then held his arm out. "Okay... start!"

He brought his arm down, and Sakura ran at me, glancing in Sasuke's direction every so often. I dodged her first hits with ease, ducking, jumping, sliding. She was fast, but not fast enough, and barely paying attention.

I grabbed her forearm in a grip that Inoichi-sensei had showed me, and flipped her into the ground with a harsh thwack. I grimaced guiltily as she cried out in pain, and I could see Iruka going to stop us, but being stopped by Mizuki as Sakura picked herself up and glared at me. She lunged at me again, and this time, was paying attention. She landed a few hits, and then threw a high kick, which I ducked to dodge.

"I saw what you did." she hissed as we danced to the music of battle, "How dare you hug my Sasuke-kun?!"

We exchanged hits for a while, until eventually, one of us was down. Me.

"Winner: Sakura Haruno!" I laughed a little breathlessly, picking myself up, then shook Sakura's hand.

"Well done, Sakura-san." I bowed. "Thank you for not holding back."

She just huffed and walked away, with a smug look. I bit my lip; that had sort of hurt, but I guess I'd have to get used to it.

* * *

"You so could of won that match, Sachi-chan!" Kiba said as we were walking home, throwing his hands up in irritation. "She left herself wide open! After that high-kick, you should have hit her while she was regaining her balance!"

I smiled at the pavement, my hair falling in my eyes. "I guess I just don't have a shinobi's keen senses yet." I mumbled, then looking at the sky.

"That's wrong." Kiba muttered, "You did see it. You're just too nice."

I shrugged, and laughed. "Maybe you're right. But either way, I still gain experience! And I am thankful to Sakura-san for that."

We walked in silence for a little while, and I smiled absently as three children of about three or four ran past, laughing, as an older woman rushed to keep up with them. This village was so.. cosy, so warm. It seemed as though everything here was happy. I just wish I could have shared it with Mother and Father... Mother would have loved the Dango shop here, and Father would have admired the trees in the forest, saying they were perfect for building this, that, and the other.

"Kiba-kun..?" Kiba looked over at me, a curious look on his face. I almost giggled; he did look a picture with Akamaru perched on his head like that. "What are your parents like?"

He looked confused about my question, and frowned a bit, but then turned his gaze ahead and smiled. "My mom's crazy. She's obsessive, and scary... but I guess she's a good mom. I always have good food, 'course she never cooks it, because she's always out." he grinned, "Plus, she gave me Akamaru!"

I giggled as Akamaru barked, then watched him carefully. "What about your Father?"

His smile disappeared, and I instantly regretted asking. "He left two years ago. Haven't heard since."

I panicked, "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay. I say, who needs him? If he's the kind of man that would leave his wife alone with two kids, then we're better off without him." he grinned, though not as full as before, and I smiled.

"I admire your bravery, Kiba-kun." I decided to change the subject. "So you have a sibling?"

Kiba nodded. "Yeah, my onee-chan Hana. She's Genin at the moment, but is training to be a vet-nin!" the look of pride faded, and he looked at me in curiosity. "What about you? I heard you're living with Ino."