46

Y/N's P.o.V.

There's a war coming. And you're on the losing side.

My eyelids flew open. They quickly adjusted, showing me the coldly familiar Hades cabin.

"Y/N?"

I turned to my side to face Nico, who was staring at the ceiling with a blank expression. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine," I replied, slipping out of the covers. One of the best things about having a gay roommate was the ability to wear underwear and a bra without him caring. "Just a weird dream."

Nico nodded. "Those suck," he agreed. "Where are you going?"

Sneaking to Percy's cabin was so usual that I didn't notice putting on shoes and a giant shirt. "A walk," I answered lightly. I hope he didn't hear the slight strain I add whenever I lie.

He did. He just didn't care. "Don't get yourself pregnant," Nico dismissed. He still stared emptily towards the ceiling.

I took a step away from the door and a step closer to him. "Are you okay?" I asked.

Nico frowned. "You never ask if I'm okay. I thought we didn't concern ourselves too much with others. We're the children of Hades, remember?"

"Gods, Nico," I sighed. "Who cares? You're not happy right now, and I want to know why."

He shook his head. "It's nothing," he said. "I just have a lot on my mind."

I stepped closer. And closer. And closer.

"Tell me," I said, just a foot away from him. "Tell me, Nico. I'm your sister." Half-sister.

Nico shook his head. "I don't know how," he replied as if it were an easy fact. "I just can't."

I looked sideways to the door. Should I stay here or should I go? Percy or Nico? My boyfriend or my brother?

"Go see him," Nico said, like he was reading my mind. Maybe he was. "I can't tell you anything. But he can."

"But --"

"I want to be alone."

I nodded and turned around. The shirt I wore was long and thin, nothing against the cold outside. I shivered despite the fact I don't get cold.

"See you later," I said, opening the door.

"You too," Nico replied hesitantly. "Just -- just don't fall too hard."

I opened the door to welcome a gust of wind blow into the already cold cabin. Nico didn't mind. Then again, he never minds.

"It's too late," I said, stepping out. "I already have."

Percy was expecting me. He leaned against the door frame, his nose red from the cold.

"You didn't have to stand by the door," I said, stepping inside the warm cabin.

Percy closed the door behind us and let out a sigh. "I'm just so worried," he replied. "And I don't feel safe when I'm not with you."

I climbed to Percy's bunk, smelling the covers. Ocean spray. "Well catching a cold doesn't really stop your anxiety," I said.

"It numbs my senses," Percy shrugged, coming next to me. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and I leaned my head to his neck.

I took a deep breath. "I need to tell you something," I exhaled softly. Percy rubbed my shoulder, sending shivers up to my neck.

"You're breaking up with me," he assumed. "You're leaving Camp Half-Blood, aren't you?"

I pulled away like the words stung. "Where'd you get that idea?" I exclaimed. "Of course not!"

Percy winced and held me closer. "Sorry," he whispered. "I'm not thinking straight."

"Gods, you really aren't," I said. "I promised I'd stay for you. I'm not going back on that."

Percy softened and relaxed his shoulders. He looked at me with reassurance and smiled just a bit. "So you're not leaving?"

I looked down at our entwined hands. "Not without you," I added. "Um, there's something I need to explain."

Percy's eyes diverted to the cabin door and the windows around us. "What is it?" he asked.

I took another deep breath and told him everything from when Nico heard screams the day Piper died. I told him about my encounter with the cloaked man, and how he wanted to bring me to his master. I told him about how the man so easily manipulated my movements, and how I slit his throat. I told him about the words that rang through my head ever since then.

"There's a war coming," I quoted. "And I'm afraid you're on he losing side."

Percy shook his head. "What's going on in Olympus?" he said. "The gods seriously gotta sort out their shit. This is the third Big War in the current century."

"The more the merrier," I muttered. It was a weak attempt at a joke.

Percy scoffed and held me tighter. "I don't want you to get hurt."

I rolled my eyes. "Neither do I for you," I said. "But is it really our choice?"

Percy laid down, pulling me (also laying) onto his chest. "Fate sucks," he said.

Does he believe in fate again?

Does he believe in us?

"You can say that again," I agreed. I drew small circles on his loose shirt, feeling the powerful muscles underneath. Surely Percy wouldn't die. He couldn't die. Right? Right!?

Percy kissed the crown of my head. "Goodnight," he whispered.

"Goodnight," I repeated.

And then the nightmares came. But I shouldn't worry. Percy's here. He'll keep me safe.