27

Y/N's P.o.V.

I ran down to the Arena. I'm late. Again.

Chiron took me and a few other people to the Big House last night, explaining what would be going on today.

Which shouldn't scare me the way it does.

I'm going to be sparring against Percy Jackson.

Why do I care? Why is this so important to me? Do I feel like I have the need to show off, to impress? Do I want to show him that I'm better than him?

I don't get it. Why do I feel this way?

It doesn't matter. Distraction is terrible when you're fighting, especially when you're thinking about stupid stuff like me.

My black combat boots pounded against the coarse path towards the arena. I slipped in through the giant stone doors just before Mr. D made his way to the middle.

"Half-bloods!" he shouted as I quickly sat next to the closest open seat. "Demigods, whatever! Today you're in for a real treat!"

As Mr. D left, shaking his head slightly, Chiron galloped into his place.

"Children of the gods!" he announced. "Today we have 4 of our most skillful demigods gathered for a giant sparring match! It is your duty to take notes and understand why they're the best of this camp!"

A bunch of cheering queued from the crowd, so I clapped quietly as well.

"You don't need to clap," whispered a voice next to me. "They're applauding for us."

I turned to my left to face Nico, staring intensely into my eyes.

"Why are you so late?" he asked in a slightly annoyed, slightly concerned voice.

"Overslept," I lied hastily. "Sorry."

Nico nodded absentmindedly and turned back to the crowd, holding his Will Solace -- his boyfriend's -- hand.

Chiron took a bow and an arrow from his back, and suddenly me and three other people stood up.

"Together," he yelled, pulling back the string, "we fight!"

The arrow flew from his long fingers, gliding into the smooth air. It landed in front of the door I had just come out from.

And soon us 4 demigods headed to the middle. Percy included.

I will win, but not to impress.

I will win, because that's the only thing I will ever do.