43

Percy's P.o.V.

Piper was dead. She took her last breaths when Y/N and I were gone.

"Piper," I whispered, crumpling to the ground. "Pipes --"

"There's nothing I could do," Will said, his voice cracking. He buried his head into Nico's shoulder in guilt. "I'm so sorry, Percy."

I shook my head slowly and took a ragged breath. "It's not your fault," I said evenly, as if it were just a fact known like 1+1. "Demigods die all the time."

Y/N kneeled down next to me. She put her hand on my bare arm consolingly. I expected her to say something -- anything, -- but she didn't. She just gave a quick, painful glance to Piper's quiet body and walked away. Each of her light steps sounded like my world crashing down.

Will shook his head and made a muffled noise into Nico's shoulder. "I failed," he mumbled through his black shirt. "I failed, I failed, I failed."

Nico just pat his back in response. "It's not your fault," he whispered into his boyfriend's ear. "You did all you could."

"It wasn't enough!" Will snapped, pulling away abruptly. "Nothing I do is ever enough!"

Nico, shocked, narrowed his eyes. "Don't say this!" he yelled. "You think I'm happy? Huh, Solace? You think I want you to mope?"

Will's eyes began turning red and puffy. "Shut up!" he screamed. "Just shut up! I just want to make everyone happy. I just want to live in a world where no one dies!"

Nico staggered back. He looked painfully at Will, who was on the bridge of crying. Will, who had such high hopes and dreams. Will, the only one who could give him real solace.

"Then maybe you should face reality," he said quietly, not wanting to face Will.

When he looked back up, Will was gone. All there was was a clipboard, a dead girl, and me.

"I'm such an idiot," Nico groaned, smacking his forehead. "I knew I shouldn't have said that."

I stood up slowly to face him. He had grown a lot in a year. I remember when I had a grow spurt when I was Nico's age.

"Go to him," I said.

"I don't know where he is," Nico replied in a shaky voice. "I can never find him."

In that moment, Nico looked so fragile. He always seemed cool and dark, but now he wore his heart upon his sleeve.

"Is that going to stop you?" I pressed. "If you love someone, go for them. If you don't, then mope.

"Nico. I know you love him. So run."

Nico wiped his dreary eyes and nodded. "You're always so right," he whispered. "You know I always admired you for being so in control?"

I laughed at that. "We're demigods," I said. "Our lives aren't even our own."

"I know," Nico smiled. "Which is why I'm going to make it my own right now."

With that, he left. He just simply disappeared into thin air by shadow travel.

I sighed and looked back down at Piper. My body crumpled down once again as I remembered what situation I was in.