Open Letter To The Person I'll Never Know How to Stop Loving

It's funny because looking back I truly believed we would grow old together.

Now as I'm three years older, I can only image who I would be if we worked out.

You were my best friend from the start. I never believed that people of the opposite sex could be best friends, but you changed that.

Of course I had a girl best friend but you had a special place in my heart that no one could ever fill, and still hasn't.

It's funny how we met, one vacation with our friends. I went with my best friend and you went with yours.

To this day I am thankful our best friends were related or I never would have met you.

The first time you messaged me after the trip, I knew an adventure was about to happen.

I just wish I would have known about the damage that I would experience along the way but I guess just like a muscle, you have to be torn down to become stronger.

You were the first person I wanted to call when something happened. Good or bad, I wanted to tell you.

Our surfing trips were my favorite and when you became friends with my cousin I couldn't have been happier.

You were becoming a part of my family, my head was in the clouds and I was convinced we would end up happily ever after.

Turns out there is no such thing as happily ever after. Eventually I couldn't keep my emotions away and I confessed my love for you.

To my surprise you also told me you've liked me for the longest time (I knew two people of the opposite sex couldn't be best friends).

Time went on and things go weird and now I question if you ever liked me at all. Eventually you got a girlfriend and stopped talking to me.

I was so confused and hurt that I didn't even know how to talk to you anymore. You changed into someone I never imagined you becoming and that's what hurt the most.

Luckily for me, I've been hurt before so I knew how to handle this.

I distanced myself and eventually worked up enough courage to emotionally remove you from my thoughts. This doesn't mean it didn't hurt. It killed me.

The last time we actually hung out you completely ignored me. I got the message real quick, I'm a smart girl.

So I removed you from my life and with that you took a piece of my heart that you'll have forever and you probably don't even know it.

So to the boy I thought was the one, I was wrong and I'm actually thankful I was wrong. Although you meant the world to me three years ago, you are just a memory now.

I don't think "the one" is supposed to fade into a memory after three years. We still keep in touch every once in a while.

I see your Instagram posts of your new girl and your exciting college experiences. I still think of things and hear our song and like a reflex I immediately want to text you, but I don't.

I don't because I know we are at completely different stages of life right now.

Maybe in the future things will change, maybe you'll go back to the crazy, fun-loving, mysterious boys who use to sit in the passenger seat of my truck and eat Cheetos with me.

But until then you'll just be a distant memory and I'll always wonder if I ever cross your mind.

By Anonymous
Artwork by nattskiftet