Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I find out I'm pregnant two weeks later. I have no idea how to break the news to James and my father. It's just come too soon. I expect I'd be pregnant in another months of so. But given how James always lavished me with attention every night, it's not surprising.

I'm currently locking myself inside the bathroom. Staring down at five different pregnancy tests I bought yesterday, which are all showing positive sign, I feel the fight leaves my body. A baby. It would change everything. What if my pregnancy would drive James away from me?
I know my husband prefers his women slender and elegant in spite of what he has said to me. And I'm just one of his women whom he chose to marry.
What the hell am I suppose to do?

My phone rings on my purse. I swallow thickly when I see the ID of the caller. Double craps! James' timing sucks.

"Hello."

"Hi Love. What are you doing?"

"Nothing."I stare at the pregnancy tests again. "What time you will come home?"

"Miss me already?"

The butterflies in my stomach summersault at his seductive voice.

"Just asking. I want to cook dinner for you."

"You feeling okay?"

"Yeah, yeah." I wave him off. Please don't blurt out right now."Just tell me. What time you'll be home?"

"Around five."

"Okay. Good. I'll wait for you."

"Are we celebrating something?"
"Nah. I'm just feeling to cook."

"Can I buy a wine?"

I roll my eyes at that. "You have a cellar full of wine in the basement."

"I want the best for you."

How should I react to that?"Uhm.If that's what you want."

"Perfect."

Uh-oh.Not like what you think. "Great. I'll see you later then." I'm about to press the end call when he says again.

"Hey Love?"

"Yes?" Oh God, is that my voice? Why does it sound breathless?

"I miss you."

Don't! I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Okay."

"Do you miss me too?"

"Yes." Tears begin rolling down my cheeks.

"Say it."

"James –"

"Say it."

"I –"

We are interrupted when I hear someone calls James' name on the background. My heart scatters to pieces when I know it's a woman's voice. In panic, I snap the battery out of my phone and throw it to the floor.

Oh God!

My husband isn't at work. He's with his other woman. And he dared to demand me saying I miss him when all his words are a lie.

My baby. What will happen to my baby?

I sob into my hands as I slump to the floor. I was about to tell him the good news and he deceives me! What did I do in the past to deserve this?

The phone in the bedroom rings loudly, breaking the sound of my sob. I vaguely aware of getting up, splashing water into my face before picking up the phone.

"Baby girl?"

At the sound of my father's voice, I break down.

"My men will pick you up." That's all he says before the line goes dead.

Ten minutes later, the bedroom door is wrenched open. Joseph, my dad's confidant, walks inside grim faced. He's no older than James, but at the moment, he looks ten years older.

When he sees me curling on the floor near the table's legs, his face turns murderous.

"Hey you." I say while sniffing. I'm not afraid of him.

We were practically raised together. I always looked up upon him as my role model. He's like the big brother I never have.

"Come here. I miss you." I stretch my hand in the air.

He takes my hand and sits down beside me. Honestly, he looks ridiculous sitting on the floor in a suit. I smile at him weakly.

"Where's he?" He asks grimly.
I'm sick of unhappiness around me.

"Smile for me."

"I can't. Not when I'm feeling like to kill someone."

"Don't kill anyone." I tug at his hand. You'll get locked up in jail. And guess who will come to me when I'm in trouble?"

"Certainly not your husband."

I break down again. "Yes. Certainly not him."