V. A Million Times Over

The aura of loneliness surrounding the family treehouse was looming. It held storms; the deep, gloomy kind that always linger, no matter how much the thunder dies down. If the dark presence lingering within the house was vanquished, maybe it could have been a beautiful place.

"Rebecca... I'm sorry." November found herself at a loss for words. She may have constantly felt alone, but she never knew true loneliness. Hearing Rebecca's story put her into perspective; you're never truly alone until you've lost everybody.

The clouds in Rebecca's eyes came back together. She had seen too much. Learned too much. Felt too much. Looking back at her house brought back no emotions anymore, just a small reminder every now and again of what it used to be. Maybe this treehouse was just as beautiful as it was to November as it was for Rebecca before her family slipped away.

"Don't be sorry, November." Rebecca laughed. "Parents in this world die all of the time."

November knew that it wasn't fair - Rebecca had to suffer so much that she had gotten used to it. That was why all the storms had calmed, the rain had stopped pouring and the fires had diminished. All that was left were the clouds; emptiness, loneliness - the pond was the only place with any sentimental value left. November loved the pond for its beauty, Rebecca loved it because it gave her feeling.

Sad, really.

November thought about it all for a while, but still couldn't find the perfect words for it. So she just sighed, and tried to sympathise with the girl. "That's unfortunate."

"It is." Rebecca admitted. "But it's real."

'She's only twelve years old and she's already lost both of her parents.' November thought to herself, wondering if she'd ever truly understand. For a second, she reflected on her own life - then she realised that maybe the two weren't so different. She never had two parents to begin with, just an angry mess disguised as a mother. Her anger got so much that she ran away, and there she was. About to take a treehouse tour. With someone who she's just met. Yep, stranger danger.

"Hey November, you want to stay in my treehouse for the night?" Rebecca grinned, swinging onto a tree banch perched slightly above their heads. Her blonde tresses gently swished in the cool wind, as November looked in admiration at her long locks. November accepted the offer with a big, cheesy grin on her face. She wanted to learn more about Rebecca; she was a mystery.

The rising crept over the horizon. The yellow and purple tones in the sky were an ethereally pleasant sight. The constant beauty after so much struggle made her smile hard when she woke up. She had just had her first sleepover in her new friend's treehouse. Suddenly, the realisation hit her.

"Hey, Rebecca! Sorry to bother you, but..." November grinned, already ecstatic about this new, bright day. She sensed that this day was going to be positive and sunny. The sky agreed, the sun shining happily over their heads.

"Yes, November?" Rebecca replied, rubbing her tired eyes. She dodged the roof of her treehouse before her head could hit it, grinning at the speed of her dodge. "Fun fact! Always bumping your head improves your reflexes." She laughed, making November chuckle to herself.

"You told me you don't really have a home, and you go from place to place. So, may I ask about this treehouse?" November laughed, pretending to suspiciously eye her surroundings. "Do I have to become Detective November?"

Rebecca grinned at November's silly antics, always enjoying her presence. She played along, pretend guilt spreading across her face. "Did you naturally assume that this treehouse was mine?" Rebecca chuckled.

"Wait, so you're saying someone could've eaten cabbage in here? Or banged their head on that roof before you? Or DIED in here?!" November exclaimed, fascinated by what could potentially have happened in this treehouse before Rebecca started living there.