I. Lost Angel Valley

November looked longingly at the world before her eyes. The tall, evergreen angel, adorned in leaves, spread her branches across the valley. The fresh breeze swirled across the sky, catching her breath and taking it away. Mother Nature was working her magic as usual. This was the world outside of her palace; where there was no duty to fulfil, and everything was built around love rather than laws.

A young boy's caramel tresses. His hair never had to be perfect - it was happy in the wind, making beautiful ripples you could never find in an ocean. The world was this beautiful, and she was confined by the countless walls of the castle. Her mother, Queen Virginia, was responsible for her confinement.

"Mommy?" November turned towards Virginia, who was looking at her with a sour expression.

"What do you want, November?" Her head snapped around. November was always wasting her damn time.

"Do you ever think..." The hopeful girl began, "That I could go out there with them one day?"

Virginia looked to where November was pointing. Happiness radiated from young girls skipping out of their public school. The ethereal beauty of nature took the form of forest green leaves, swishing around the girls and making them giggle. They were content. A flash of longing briefly appeared in the queen's eyes, disappearing as quickly as it came.

After staring out of the glass full of intricate gold patterns, Viriginia faced her daughter once again. She replied, a look of disgust on her face. "November, we raised you to be formal, not to fool around. You are staying within this palace."

"They do not look like fools to me. They look like they are having fun." November curiously said, her voice laced with an undertone of sarcasm.

"Well, people are not how they appear. They certainly are not." Virginia cringed in response.

"How do you know that, mom?" The young, naive girl inquired.

"Trust me, you do not want to... associate yourself with them." The queen picked her words carefully. "It would do a lot of harm to your brain."

"How?"

"Those unruly folk..." Virginia gestured toward the residents outside of the castle. "They hypnotize you into becoming one of them."

"Can I maybe try it for myself?" November asked. She wistfully stared outside again, but quickly shook away her hope.

"You're young and unafraid." Virginia shook her head. "You don't know what those awful people are up to."

"Why do they do such awful things?"

"They're jealous of the money we have. People like them work all day and resent us for our kingdom. And, November, even at the end of the day, they will always be in the same position." Virginia scoffed.

November thought for a minute, then suddenly lifted her head.

"Well, maybe we could give them some of OUR money and they won't be jealous anymore. We could make it equal!" She grinned, jumping up excitedly. "I'm a genius." This statement was followed by a proud smirk.

"We can't do that."

"Why not, mommy?"

"I've told you this countless times before. They're not like us."

"That's not fair." November gasped after realising what she said to her mother.

"Oh, and why do you say that?" Virginia bitterly asked, rising from her throne.

"We should all be equal!" She knew the words coming out of her mouth were true, but she was always conflicted. The life of living as a stoic robot, leading a town who doesn't respect anyone in your bloodline, then dying - it didn't appeal to November as much as it did Virginia.