Chapter 10

Blue Star flew away from Zoe and toward the giant alien swarm terrorizing the town, catching and falling civilians on the way. Richard knew that the swarm would keep dropping people, so he knew saving them would be his first priority. The swarm wanted the Starstone, so maybe if he gave them what they wanted, they would leave the civilians alone.
    "Bow and arrow!" he told the stone. Just as he commanded, the stone produced a blue bow for him. He pulled back the glowing string and an arrow materialized. He aimed for the biggest group he could find and let go.
    The arrow flew through the air with extreme speed and precision right into the heart of the swarm. Suddenly, there was a bright blue flash followed immediately by an explosion that vaporized a small portion of the creatures.
    "Hey!" he yelled, "If you want the Starstone, It's right here!" Every single creature paused and looked at him.
    "SSSSTARSSSTONE!" he heard them all yell in unison. Suddenly, they all flocked together into a giant wave and headed straight toward Bluestar.
    "Shield!" he yelled just before the giant wave hit him. The shield deflected them from hitting him head on, but they soon began to surround him from all sides.
    "Okay," he thought, "the people are safe. Now I just need to get rid of these pests. But how?" Richard couldn't take them all on in one group, so he had to figure out how to separate the them into smaller groups so that they would be easier to hit.
    "Grenade!" he yelled, and a blue grenade appeared in his hand. He pulled the pin and threw it in front of his shield. Three seconds later, there was a blue flash and all the aliens scattered and Blue Star flew away from the center. When he turned around, he saw the creatures swarming back together again, but this time they formed what looked like a giant fist.
    The fist lunged toward Blue Star and hit him hard. The impact sent Richard flying backwards through an office building.
    "That hurt," he said from under a pile of rubble. It did in fact hurt, but not as much as it should have. This suit was strong.
    He looked up from the hole that he had made and saw that the swarm had formed back into one giant group.
    "How am I going to separate them," he said to himself in frustration as he flew out of the building.
    "Blue Star!" he heard someone yell. He looked at the building next to him and saw Zoe a few feet away.
    "What is it, Zoe," he said hurriedly, "I need to figure out how to-" Zoe cut him off and finished his sentence for him.
    "How to separate them, I know," she said. "Earlier I saw some of them go out of their way to avoid some power lines."
    "So?" he asked. not following what she was getting at.
    "'So'," she mocked, "They avoid electricity. So that means you can use the lines to-" he cut her off just as she had before.
    "To separate them. Thanks!" he said quickly as he flew off towards the nearest power line.
    He looked down the street at saw the swarm gathered at the end, and in between Blue Star and them were four electric poles.
    "I'll have to time this just right," he said to himself. "C-4" he said, and a ball of putty appeared in his hand. As he flew toward the swarm, which hadn't noticed him yet, he placed a charge at the bottom of each pole. He then flew back down to the other end of the street and stopped.
    "HEYYYY!" he yelled. Once again the swarm stopped and looked at him before suddenly charging. Because the street was so narrow, the swarm stretched out into a snake like formation. Richard knew he only had one shot, so he had to wait until the last possible moment. Right as the swarm was perfectly between the first and last pole, Richard pressed the detonator he was holding behind his back and there were four simultaneous explosions down the street. The poles then fell into the street, blocking off sections of the swarm. It took Richard a few seconds to see if it worked or not because of the smoke, but when it cleared Richard saw three perfectly divided sections of the swarm. Each one small enough to take out.
    "Yes!" Richard cheered, "It worked! Now to get to work."
    Richard flew into the first group and shouted, "Gatling gun!" Half a second later he wa releasing a rain of bright blue bullets all throughout the swarm. In a few seconds most of them were gone, but the stragglers were flying around and swooping down on Richard. They had somehow made themselves razor sharp and were cutting Richard as they swept passed.
    "Ow!" he exclaimed as one made a rather deep cut in his cheek. "Sword," he ordered, and slashed and cut at the vile monsters until each one was dead.
    "One group down, two to go." Richard looked down and saw himself covered in tiny cuts. Some of them were bleeding a lot. He watched as his suit closed up over the wounds and stopped the bleeding. Suddenly, Richard realized how exhausted he was. "I can't keep this up much longer. I need a quicker solution to this problem."
    As Richard flew over the second swarm, he summoned two grenades and dropped them both into the swarm. They were all vaporized within a matter of seconds.
    "Just one swarm left," he thought, "And I have something special in store for them."
    Richard flew in front of the final swarm and stopped. He then conjured the best weapon that came to mind.
    "Flamethrower!" he said, and smiled as a bright blue fire engulfed the entire swarm. He heard them all shriek as they combusted and began to disintegrate.
    "I've failed you, massster!" he heard one of them wail as it burned up.
    Richard stopped and looked around. Not a single creature remained. He had won. Blue Star had just saved the town from an evil alien swarm.
    "You did it!" he heard Zoe cheer as she ran up to his side on the street.
    "For now," he said darkly.
    "What?" she asked, worried at his dark demeanor. "But they're all gone."
    "I heard one of them mention a 'Master'. I may have won this battle, Zoe, but I just know the war is far from over."