Chapter 6

Richard Daniels, newly dubbed Blue Star, reached up to remove the Starstone from his chest. When he did, his star-suit faded away to reveal his normal clothes again.
"What was that?" Zoe asked. She seemed to be handling this all very well.
"I'm not sure," he told her. "That's the second one I've had to fight."
"What do they want?" Zoe seemed to like to ask questions, but something about her made him want to tell her everything.
"I think they want this Starstone."  He held out the glowing gem in his hand for her to see.  When she looked like she was about to reach for it, he quickly put it in his pocket.  "I don't know what it is or why they want it.  I just got it, but I feel like I should keep it away from them."
"So you really do have superpowers," Zoe said impressed.  "Are you a superhero?"
"I guess so." Richard wasn't really sure what to do now.  He got the feeling that being a hero isn't as much fun as he thought it would be.
"Well, it's been nice meeting you, but I've got to go."  He couldn't stay any longer.  He had to let them know he was okay.
"You're leaving?" Zoe asked sadly.  "Why?"
"I'm sorry, but I have to get back to NASA." He started to turn to walk away.
"Is this about that dead astronaut?" Zoe asked, which stopped Richard in his tracks.
"Dead astronaut?" Richard asked with caution.
"Yeah," said Zoe.  "I heard about it on the news a while ago. That guy going to Mars, Robert Danny-"
"Richard Daniels," he corrected her.
"Right, anyways," she continued.  "They lost his signal a few hours ago and now they're pronouncing him dead."
"Oh." Richard wasn't sure what he should do.  What if he goes back and another one of those aliens come and hurts everyone he knows?  He can't let that happen.  Even if he could let them know he was alive, how would he explain it?  It would be a disaster if everyone found out about his powers.  Maybe they were better off thinking he was dead.  All he knew is that he was once again alone.  Well, almost.
"You know what Zoe?" He said smiling at her.  "I think I will hang around for a bit.  Got a place I could stay at?"

.   .   .
On the far side of Mars, one of the same creatures that attacked Richard approached a tall, dark figure and bowed.
"Massster," it hissed. "The sstarsstone was stolen by a human exxplorer."
"Then retrieve it!" boomed the deep, gravely voice.
"We tried, but he already exxterminated two of us," said the creature.
"Then send a swarm," he ordered. "NOW!!!"
The creature cowered as its master shouted and began to shrink.  Not only did it shrink, but it began to multiply.  It kept multiplying until it was a giant swarm of smaller creatures. The swarm then started to fly away.
"Yoru!"  The voice called out.
"Yesss, masster?" a thousand shrill voices responded in unison.
"Do not fail me."