Chapter 22: Secrets

Sylvester's POV (My man :'))

I looked down at the cuddled up figure in my arms and tried to ignore the sense of perfection in such an innocent action. My chest contracted at the sounds of her sobs. It angered me that something made her feel that way and I was a part of it.

When she broke down, I was beyond surprised. I had seen her cry before but never so vulnerable. Like there was a deeper meaning to it all. I had expected a different reaction from her, though this one is much more understandable considering the situation.

"Hey, come on, we'll get something to eat." I urged her, bringing her face up, wanting to lighten up the tense atmosphere. Her face was still wet on the underside of her eyes.

"I don't want to go out." She whispered pulling herself away from my embrace. I immediately missed the feel of her in my arms but I refrained from voicing my opinions. It was all too much for her, overwhelming her more by my presence wasn't something I wanted to do. That's exactly why I had sent my pack members to follow her instead of going myself. I said I would give her space and I had full intention of doing that.

"Stay here, I'll get you something." I held her hand for a while, reassuring her that I would be back.
She didn't say much but shifted to the corner of the sofa. I noticed her shaking, my fists curled up but I could feel that she did not need an angry Alpha to deal with, she needed an understanding mate.

With that sentiment in mind, I went to the kitchen and started putting together an edible dinner. The pack chef gave me a questionable glance but it wasn't uncommon for me to make my own meals. They weren't great, but I preferred to keep my hands busy when I needed to think. So, after a long meeting or a crisis I would cook, it often gave me the solution I was looking for.
After what happened that morning, I had immediately called for some of the pack warriors to go to the aid of their Luna.

Though I knew Delphi was more than capable to hold her ground I didn't want to regret not helping her at such a time.

I had assumed it was someone trying to harm the pack by targeting her, but seeing her reaction, my assumption had been wrong.
I picked up the tray I had assembled in a hurry to go back to my mate.

"Sylvester." Jason called out after me. He looked at he tray in my hand but said nothing.

"Did you track the scents?"

"They disappear in a stream that crosses with the eastern pack. I arranged a meeting with their Alpha but it might be too late for that. I went over what you asked me to. We need to sit down and decide on what to do further." As much as I wanted to run over to my mate, I had to think of my pack first. I motioned for Jason to follow me and entered an empty room.

"Right now, I need you to change the patrol pattern. Call all the guards. The two-two-four pattern, Jason. This should not be shared with anyone but the guards. Warn them accordingly."

"Yes, Alpha. Anything else?"

"Not now. I have an important matter to attend to, I'll talk to you in the morning about the rest." I muttered back as I continued my journey to the office. I had to think over a strategy before sunrise.

"Okay." I didn't turn to reply but simply nodded.

I used my back to open the door to see Delphi straightening her clothes and looking ready to leave. Her face now clear of any sign of weakness.

"Where do you think you're going?" I put the tray down and I looked up at her, ready to put up a fight. I didn't care about how things were between us, I needed to keep her safe at all costs.

"Home." She simply stated as though the past few hours hadn't occurred.
"You can't. I won't let you." I was blocking her path and I had no intention of moving.