Chapter 10: Fix You

I was cocooned in my blanket, the warmth forming a layer of safety I could hide my disgust under. The window near my table was slightly open allowing the wind in as I shivered at the eerily feeling it brought along with it.

I replayed the entire evening in my mind trying to find reason in my impulsive behaviour. I found it to be a good punishment too, for my actions. I was disappointed in myself, my reaction was something I was trying to prevent from the beginning.

Both my wolf and I deserved more. We deserved someone who appreciated us and respected us.

There was a light knock on the door echoing in the dark of the night.

"Yes?" I called out, not wanting to leave the comfort of the bed.
"I'm home, Del. Are you okay?" Scott asked. At some point I grew used to the worry that was a constant in Scotts tone. He often tried to hide it but I could sense his concern from a mile away.

"Yes, I'm alright. You can come in, if you want." I replied reluctantly. He pushed the door open as I turned my head to see my brother enter.

"You're late." I stated, feeling at little like mom.
"I'm sorry. I saw Sylvester. Is everything alright?" As his name left my brothers mouth I pushed myself deeper into the comforts of my bed. It hid the blush that warmed my ears. I was embarrassed by my actions more than anything else.

"He thought he could pay me a visit." My bitter voice cautioned my brother as he seated himself beside me on the bed. But he had to assume the hatred was for Sylvester, little did he know I was hating myself on the inside. I wanted nothing more that to blame it all on Sylvester but it wasn't only his fault this time, I was there and I let him, hell, I encouraged him. I winced at my own thoughts and wished the bed would engulf me.

"You should give him a chance." My brother suggested, at first I stared at him accusingly but then I composed myself and turned the opposite way.

"I'd like to make my own decisions, Scott." I stated, my icy tone must have been an indication for him to take his leave.

"Goodnight, Delphi." He said walking out of the door.

"Goodnight, Scott."

He didn't make any other sound as I heard the door click in its place.
I couldn't fathom giving Sylvester a chance. He had done little to nothing to achieve my forgiveness or even a second thought.
It takes more than roses and goodnight texts. It takes more than concerned filled eyes and breathtaking kisses.

I knew he was trying but I couldn't figure out why, what could he possibly want in return?

I frequently thought he's here because he finally did realise my importance in the success of the pack. The Alpha would inevitably be weak without his true mate, without me. But often his actions contradicted this assumption. The sincerity in his eyes betrayed his previous actions. I doubted myself but I would keep reminding myself of the day he had mercilessly rejected me. I should have accepted the rejection, I should've just taken what life gave me then I wouldn't have been in this unfortunate situation.

The bravery which forced me to stand up to him got lost in the days that followed, I don't want anything to do with him. I didn't care what he wanted to do, I want him to stay away from me. Far away.

The mate pull would get stronger in the coming days. What happened that evening was just an insight on what could happen if I allowed myself to be close to him for too long.

My mind refused to rest and my body couldn't take the stress anymore. Finally when sleep came I dreamt of myself in a state of distress. I was running away when I fell into someone's arms, Ethan's arms. The warmth from his body added comfort to my reality.