Prologue

She cried looking at the body lying in-front of her. Her heart aching at her inexplicable loss. She couldn't understand how her eyes still had tears in them, for she had cried for eternity.

Her knees weakening at the scene unfolding before of her.

"Why?" She questioned as she sobbed uncontrollably. But her soft voice echoed through the mauve halls. Her hand covered in crimson liquid and her eyes shining with a new wave of tears.

"Why did you leave me? Take me with you." Her plea went unheard by the passersby as they offered her looks of pity.

She felt a need to glare at them since none of them offered help but she couldn't take her eyes off the wounded boy lying infront of her.

She couldn't digest the change of events on an auspicious day like this.
Her breathing ragged as she feveratively typed on her phone.

"911- what is your emergency?" The monotonous voice asked unaware of the urgency of the situation.

"I-I," She tried but her hoarse voice couldn't form the correct sentences to convey her message or any sentence at all. What would she say anyway?

"Yes?" The voice -now interested- urged her to speak up.

"I h-have ju-just witnessed a mu-murder." She croaked out, her eyes squeezing shut at the recognisable lie. But, was it really?

"Ma'am, do you have a facial recognition of the culprit?" The voice, calm as the ocean, inquired.

"No." She replied in a heartbeat. Though she knew very well who had done it.

"Can you tell me your address? I will send an ambulance immediately. Relax, ma'am. It will be alright." Alright? How dare she claim it will be alright? The boy infront of her could be dead, gone.

"33rd Merimount Museum, Oak road. I'm on the third floor, near the dinosaurs." She swallowed her anger and replied in a normal voice, as normal under the circumstances.

"An ambulance is on its way, you have to wait for them, Ma'am," She informed professionally. "Have a nice day." At that sentence her anger swelled.

Have a nice day? But before she could shout at the receiver the line went dead.

It felt like hours before the ambulance arrived and when it did, all hell broke loose. The sound echoed in her ear, taunting her and will forever haunt her in her sleep.

"Miss, you can go home now. I have called a cab for you." The police inspector sympathised.

"No, no, sir. I wish to go to the hospital with him. Please." That's the least she can do.

"It is your wish, we have some questions for you but you will be interrogated after finding his health status."

"Okay." Her voice was not above a weak whisper. The old man nodded his head in understanding. But what he understood wasn't what she hurts for.

He would never know. He could never know. She wouldn't let him.

She rode with him in his battered police car.

Entering the hospital, the white walls attempted to suffocate her. She seated herself on a steel bench forgetting the uncomfortable feeling of the cold metal.

"I have to leave now." The officer informed but he didn't wait for her confirmation. She didn't want him to. She wanted to forget it all.

After hours of surgery a doctor wearing a white coat existed the room.

"Are you related to the man?" He questioned taking his gloves off. His causal demeanour made hope blossom inside her though she tried not to show it.

"No, but I was the one who found him." She knew the cost of her lying but she also knew the cost of the bitter truth. And believe it or not, the latter was more.

"Well, the cut was too deep," He paused as she took in a sharp breath. "I'm sorry but we couldn't save him."

He finished the words not meeting her eyes. His words were rehearsed, it was as if he had done this a million times. And he must have, after all he is a doctor.

The man in white left soon after seeing the lack of a response from the pain stricken girl.

She picked up her bag which the police officer had given her and walked away with a heavy heart and trembling figure.

She couldn't even bury him, she couldn't bury her own brother.

******
I'm sorry for not thinking of a prologue earlier but I hope this meets the mark.

Yes, the point of the prologue is meant to make it seem unreal. It is in no way reflection of how police officials and 911 call responders react, it is merely a plot point. Things will become clearer as you read on.

Did I reveal too much? You guys excited to find out who is who?
Comments please!

Vote

Love,
Rojesta💜