Chapter 9

Peyton's P.O.V

So, here we were at dinner at a little restaurant and it's quiet between us. I have a feeling that Max isn't going to tell me what he really needs to explain to me. I'm really tired of these stupid secrets. He better tell me soon or I'm going to flip out on him. I don't know why but I still feel like that other guy is watching me. I didn't want to tell Max because he would be super pissed and try to find the guy and do who knows what to him. He still scares the crap out of me. Earlier somebody bumped into me on accident and Max flipped out on the poor kid. I felt so bad because the kid got scared.

"Soo, nice restaurant, huh?" Max asked and I just stared at him then looked away. He sighed and rubbed his face. "Please don't be mad at me. I'm sorry for yelling at that kid, I just lost my temper. I-"

"You always lose your temper. What's new with that?" I said harshly. I felt bad for saying it that way but it kinda just came out like that. I saw his jaw clench and unclench. Whatever, he needs to hear it because I'm tired of his stupid temper.

"Look, I'm sorry. What else do you expect me to say?" he told me just as harshly.

"Are you kidding me right now? You scared a kid so much he started crying and I'm tired of it. Sorry that I'm f***ing scared of you. You know what? No, I'm not sorry about that. If you actually cared about my feelings about the way you act you would control yourself."

"You don't understand what I'm going through!"

"Then help me understand! Instead of keeping these stupid secrets, help me understand why you get so angry all the time and scare the sh*t out of me! I'm tired of it!" At this point I was ready to leave.

"How can I tell you when you are scared of me? You don't get how strongly I feel for you and want to protect you."

"Protect me? So that's what you've been doing. By making me scared and scaring everyone else off you are protecting me." I rolled my eyes. I've had enough of this.

"Isn't that not what I just said?! Of course I want people to stay away from you!"

"Lower your voice, people are staring," I said looking around at all the people listening to our conversation.