Chapter Twenty-Seven ~ Drew

My neck throbbed uncontrollably, aching from the blow that Heath had dealt. My breath came in rasping, it's chilling temperature stinging my windpipe even more than the growing bruise. Looking up, I stared at sheer fury in his eyes.

He smiled wickedly, before sending his fist in to the side of my head. My balance was gone by that stage, and my body, though curled on the ground, collapsed further. It was lucky that these beds didn't have frames, because my skull would have cracked by now if they had.

An awful crack rang out as his foot stomped in to my ribcage. It was loud enough for even Heath to stop and stare, hesitant for a moment. Looking down, I saw blood blossoming through my white blouse. Rage pulsed through my uncontrollably.

I drew my wand from my pocket and pointed it at him. Unfortunately for me, my movements were slow and obvious, and Heath saw my intentions. Too late I tried to hide it once more, before he drew his own and pointed it at me.

"Expelliarmus!" he hissed, and my wand went flying.

My only protection was gone. Breathing shallow breaths to avoid the broken rib embedded in my ribcage, I tried to hide form the tip of his wand. I regretted drawing my wand, for it had only given him ideas. I couldn't curl up in to a ball because of my rib, but if I stayed like this I would be hurt further.

But then I remembered, I didn't need my wand to perform magic. The upper hand was mine, and I was going to use it.

"Petrificus totalus..." I murmured, too low for him to hear.

His entire body seized, and his eyes widened. Digging my nails in to the bed beside me, I stood up with much difficulty and hobbled away from the scene. Now I wished that there were somebody staying in my dorm, to help me out a little.

My eyes were still unfocused, and my ears pounded horribly in my head, but I knew the tower well enough to make my way through it virtually blinded. I couldn't make it to Madame Pomfrey, I knew that for sure. The best that I could do was sit in the common room and wait for somebody to return.

Hours crawled past, and the blood down the side of my face and on my shirt was very nearly dried. Nothing much had changed, except for the dull pain in my torso and the fact that my shirt was no longer white, but crimson red from the blood.

I didn't know how much blood I had lost, but my face felt like it couldn't attain any, and it was cold without it. Not to mention the fact that it was winter, and my damp blouse wasn't protecting me much against the harsh, cold window seeping through one of the open windows.

The overall feeling was horrific, as well as the lingering feeling that my spell could wear off at any moment and Heath could come storming down the stairs. My eyes flickered nervously over to the staircase every so often, just to check.

Finally, the door finally opened and a small, mousy haired boy came through. His eyes were bloodshot and tired, and he yawned openly. I found nothing funny about his pink pyjama’s, I only cared that I would soon be sent to Madame Pomfrey.

"Hey!" he said brightly, before blushing at his pyjama’s.

"Help..." I muttered, my mouth unbelievably dry.

His eyes fixed on me, and they seemed to focus more, and as soon as they did they widened and he rushed over to my side. He apologised profusely and tried to explain that he was merely tired, but I didn't really mind. Breathing in shaking breaths, I instructed him to levitate me to Madame Pomfrey.

As I was hovering, I couldn't help but think that my holidays were becoming consumed with being injured. If I could, I would sigh, but unfortunately, that would hurt way too much to bother. The boy leading my body through the halls called himself Drew.