Chapter Five ~ Erised

Before me lay a stone hall stood, with burning flames out-skirting its borders. A ghostly face flew past my face, sending a cold chill through my bones. Surely, it was my own imagination? Perhaps it was a ghost haunting to hallway...

My thoughts were interrupted by a wailing voice, belonging to none other than Quirrel. His face was covered in burns, and her lay on the floor in a moaning mess. Harry Potter lay, unconscious, beside him. I couldn't believe my eyes...

It hadn't been my Uncle who had completed the challenges, it had been Harry! That made more sense for Ron, and I assumed Hermione was soon to be with Ron... Walking forward I rested my hand on to Harry's forehead, feeling that it was a little hot.

For good measure, I repeated the healing spell Episkey and left him in his unconsciousness. Rushing to Quirell’s side, I saw the man moan in agony, as if his soul had been split in two. I considered trying to heal him, but I could tell it was far too late; this man was dying.

Something about this man was evil, but I did not leave his side as he fulfilled his dying breaths. His chest rose and fell unevenly, until finally... nothing. His eyes shone with a dull light, reflecting the dying flames surrounding us. 

"Goodbye, Professor Quirrel... I hope you're forgiven for any of your crimes..." I murmured, before standing and walking closer to the magnificent mirror lying in the middle of the room. 

Somewhere in my mind, a memory flickered about an enchanted mirror... But enchanted mirrors were so common that there was no way of knowing which his one was. Circling it slowly, my eyes sucked in the sight of its ornate wooden carvings and thick structure.

Finally settling before it's reflective mirror, I looked in to the picture shown.

A man with fair brown hair and piercing blue eyes stood tall, with his arm wrapped around a woman with wavy hair and brown eyes... These were my own personal images of my parents, except filled with so much more detail than I could have imagined.

Placing my hand against the platen glass, I watched with tearful eyes, as my father lay his own hand on top of mine. Voldemort had taken my family from me... yet they were shown here, clearly and beautifully.

Wiping away my tears, I smiled as I saw the two people stand there, proudly staring down at me. I had never felt so happy, yet so sad at the same time in my life. Sobbing quietly, I leaned against the cold surface, looking to see my mother do the same.

They were so close yet so far away. 

I looked up at the mirror, only to see a carved message encrusted in the head of its wood. It read,

Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi

Staring at the incohesive words, I realised that it was spelt backwards. Concentrating on the ornate script, I saw that it truly read,

I show not your face but your hearts desire

Desire... Erised... Of course! This was the infamous Mirror of Erised... Which meant that this could well be only my imaginary parents, and not my own. A mixture of disappointment and grief filled my chest as I looked at their now worried faces.

"Elysia, I have been watching you. But, I suspect you know that." croaked a soft voice from behind me, Dumbledore.

"I suppose I did..." I replied, realising that he was right.

Dumbledore would never be ignorant to the dangers being faced in his own walls.

"Are they my parents... in the mirror?" I whispered, looking eagerly in to his eyes.