James x Nadine: Fieldtrip (HS AU)

Uh-oh. She was late.

She kept running until she stepped into the bus. Her hair was still wet and beads of sweat were starting to form on her forehead.

"Ah, Miss Lustre, glad you can join us." Mr. Aro, one of their guardians today, said to her.

"Goodmorning, Sir!" Nadine said cheerfully not minding the sarcasm in her teacher's voice.

"We were about to go in five minutes." he replied as he tried to get comfortable in his seat.

"Perfect." Nadine whispered to herself as she walked towards the aisle. Her friends started shouting her name from the back of the bus. Nadine smiled.

"There's no more vacant seat." Nadine looked at the person in front of her, blocking her way to her friends.

"What?" Nadine was confused.

"There's no more vacant seat at the back." The boy in front of her said and he held her shoulders to turn her to the other direction and pushed her to start walking. Nadine followed through.

"But there's one left here." He extended his hand to present a seat on the first row, just behind the driver of the bus.

Nadine was still startled with what's happening.

"Sit down now Miss Lustre." Mr. Aro uttered on the right side.

Nadine sat down near the window with James beside her.

James Reid, the swimmer, vocalist and guitarist of the popular school band, The J's. (Because all the members' names start with letter J).

He handed her the clipboard and the pen he has been holding. It was the attendance.

Nadine removed her backpack and settled it on the floor as she grabbed the attendance to sign it.

"Glad we're all complete." James said as he leaned on his own chair.

Nadine returned the clipboard and pen to him and James passed it to Ms. Castro, who is seated beside Mr. Aro.

"Okay na?" Mr. Aro said and James gave two thumbs up. Moments later, they were good to go and the bus started moving. People started whoo-ing and Nadine smiled. James looked at her and smiled at her.

"So.." James started and Nadine swallowed a lump in her throat. "Why are you late?"

"Hey, I made it." Nadine said, without looking at him. If she wanted to survive the trip, she had to be strong. James gave out a little laugh and that made Nadine look at him.

Damn, Nadine. Do not look at his goodlooking face.

"I woke up late." Nadine said as she looked out the window. James looked at her from the corner of his eyes. "I had a series marathon last night."

"I thought you were so excited with this trip that you couldn't sleep." James replied.

"Ha-Ha." Nadine just said.

"Do you want me to put your bag overhead?" James stood up.

"Oh, no, no. It's okay." Nadine replied. James sat down again.

Why? Why must she be next to the James Reid the whole trip? Don't get her wrong, James seems like a pleasant person. Okay, she doesn't know. They have been classmates for the past two years but she never had a decent conversation with him. Nadine just felt they were different and won't get along that much.

Okay, she's just overwhelmed by him.

He's just so...perfect? Everyone likes him. Teachers, students, the prefects, even the principal seem to so smitten by him. The girls, oh the girls, you should see how the freshmen girls go gaga over him.