Premature birth changes you and is an influencing factor of your transformation into the person you are today. Be proud of your strength, be proud of your resilience and most of all; be proud of your baby’s fighting spirit.

_______________________________
|2 weeks later|

I woke up to blinding white lights, the disinfecting odor and I looked down at my legs. Seeing my right one in a brace and it hit me everything was real. The car crash everything was real.

"You okay?" I heard a familiar voice ask.

I looked over seeing Colby and hugged him. The doctor came in asking me questions. What day is it? What year? Who's the president? My birthday? After that I was staying here for observation but I wanted to be somewhere other than here to be honest. I hated hospitals, and hated everything about them in general.

"Can I go home?" I asked groaning.

"No, they have to keep you for observation with the baby." Colby told me sternly.

"Is the baby okay?" I asked.

"He's put in a NICU. He's having trouble breathing on his own and he's premature so they're looking for anymore complications with him." He said sadly.

"Why is this happening?" I asked.

"I don't know." He answered.

"How much does he weight?" I asked.

"Four pounds. He has dimples like yours and he's a happy baby even though he's in pain." He said.

"My poor baby. Did you name him?" I asked.

"His a Jr." He said.

"Colby Daniel Lopez Jr." I said.

"Yup." He said.

"How are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm feel fine but in the inside I'm scared, I feel like I failed protecting my family." He said.

"You didn't fail, it wasn't your fault that a car hit us. But you did a good job of watching over us and being there for him so stop feeling like this." I said holding his hand.

I laid back in the hospital bed then the nurses came in changing my IV bags. I was starting to get cold then was shivering. He got up and put a heavy blanket on me. I started to warm up.

"Is the meds causing this?" I asked.

"Probably." He said.

"How long have I been here?" I asked.

"It's been two weeks since the car accident. I got discharged a week ago." He answered.

"Have you ate since being here?" I asked him. He didn't answer. I already knew the answer.

"I'll kill you if you don't go down to the cafeteria and get something to eat." I said.

"But... Fine I'll go get something to eat." He said getting up and walking out the hospital room.

As I lay in my hospital bed, I have no choice but to take in my surroundings. The walls were so blank. A small television connected to the wall with an episode of RAW playing on the screen.

Soon Colby walked back into the room. Thank God this room was starting to drive me crazy.

"Why do I have so many things all over me ?" I asked.

"You have a brace on your leg because the bone was cracked and have screws in your knee holding it together. You have a bruised bone on your other leg, stitches on your left arm from a deep cut you had when you  arrived." He replied.

"Did you call my family?" I asked.

"Yes, they are coming soon." He said.

"Thank you, Colby." I said smiling.

"For what?" He asked.

"For being here with us." I said.

"I'll always be there for you guys." He said.

"When can I hold him?" I asked.

"It won't be for a while." He said.

Most parents dream of the moment their child is born and holding them only seconds after. But for Colby and me, it would be a very long time before we could ever cuddle or gently caress our precious little boy.