Chapter 9

Throughout the whole ride, we continued to watch my cousin go neck on neck with Naruko and Imaizumi. Although I found it funny on seeing the upperclassmen banging their heads against the roof of the van. I guess this is what happens when your talent is found out. Sakamichi's specialized talent. Climbing. Always climbing. The secret of being able to focus solely on Sakamichi isn't charisma. It's just as the coach said. It's having fun when it comes to biking. Something in which all cyclists started out.  

Now

The three cyclists were at a good distance between each other. Except Naruko started falling behind right after having a short conversation with Sakamichi. Through my side of the back window, I watched Naruko grin as he continued pedaling. In that moment, I believed Naruko had given something. A hidden trick in which may come in handy later on during the race. "It's still impossible for him." Kinjou detailed. "It's a pity, but we won't see that happen today. As a climber, Onoda still lacks skill!"

"Hahaha!" The coach laughed causing Tooji and Kinjou to stare at the coach in surprise.

"It's too early to tell!" The coach declared. I gotta admit. Their coach seems to have noticed something as well. The coach spied his eyes over to me, "Right, Chiaki-san? Even you noticed this."

Everyone turned to me, I gulped nervously as I gave my sincere opinion, "Saka-nii...and others as well are surprisingly fast learners when they put their mind into it. Especially when it comes to keeping promises."

'Even Akira.' My mouth formed a thin line. I can't believe it. I'm comparing him to my own cousin. They're so much alike. However Sakamichi had something Akira doesn't have. Something in which I haven't seen from any of the cyclists I've seen. Even the members of Souhoku as well as Naruko and Imaizumi.

'Sakamichi, you always smile. Smiling whenever you enjoy something you can experience on your own.' A small smile made way to my face as I watched Sakamichi. 'To me, your smile diminished the sorrow left from that incident. Making it easier to move on for myself. Now, I think it's time you show others.'

'Show them.'

'That big smile of yours.'

"I believe Saka-nii learned something from Naruko-san in that short time, coach." The coach grinned. "Maybe you should assist me, Chiaki-san."

I scratched the back of my hair, surprised at the offer. "I'll give it some thought." As much as I wanted to, I think assisting is enough for me. 

"It can't be!" Makishima and Tadoroko yelled at the same time causing Miki to jump a bit from her seat as they watched Sakamichi start dancing on his road racer. "ONODA STOOD UP TOO!"

"H-He's dancing!" Kinjou sputtered out.

I sweat dropped the same time I dropped my hand, "You guys...you didn't realize what happened a few minutes ago when Naruko-san was talking to Saka-nii?"

Returning my focus back to the two racers ahead of the car, I watched as everyone in the car cheered for Sakamichi. 'Sakamichi, you've gained so many people to see you. You're not just some random weak person.'

'You've proven them.'

'You proven them how strong you are in something you can do on your own.'

'I'm proud of you.'

"HIME!"

...

...

...

But now your obsession with Love Hime was beginning to merge into your cycling now.

The Next Day

"Coach, did you ask for me?" The coach asked me to meet up with him during lunch break. I had absolutely no clue on what he wanted to ask of me. "Ah, yes. There was something I wanted to discuss with you in particular."

My eyes narrowed. I noticed that some of the major members weren't here in the club room.

"Why didn't you take my request of becoming assistant coach alongside with me yesterday? I mean not to be rude of course, but I do want to understand the reason behind it, Chiaki-san."

"I'm sorry." I apologized , "But." Hesitation caused me to resist speaking more, however it didn't stop me from continuing my talk with the coach. "If anyone...or rather the people I know knew of what I used to do. It's better if nobody from the rest of the team knows of this. Miki-san learned of it, although not completely."

"Would you like to discuss this with me?" The coach replied in a comforting tone as I nodded my head starting my conversation.

"I...I used to train someone involved in cycling."

BikesBikesBikes

"Hey!" I frowned. Koizumi was really trying to get my attention today again. "What is it, Koizumi-senpai?"

Koizumi's voice went into a hush tone as she leaned over to whisper,"Takara-san is asking for you."

I gulped. My eyes trailed over to the student holding a clipboard. Her long black hair tied up into a neat bun, wearing the same required uniform minus the blazer, and a cream colored apron given by the school for the cooking club. I jolted in fear once she made her way over to me, her striking dark brown eyes seemed like daggers covered in dry blood waiting to pierce me. 

"Onoda Chiaki."

"Y-Yes, Takara-senpai!" Shoot. She spoke my full name. That's not good. Not good at all. Takara only spoke our full names whenever something had happened or we did a horrible mistake in cooking. "I heard from Shingo that in two months there will be an overnight stay for training. He requested from me to allow you to go along with them."

Eh?! Kinjou-senpai. Takara-senpai. They're speaking about each other in first name bases?! N-Now that I think about it, Kinjou-senpai did say that they went to the same middle school together-

"Ahem."

'Her intimidation is intense!'

"In any case. I've permitted you in doing your duties as assistant manager of the Bicycle Racing Club. However, I won't tolerate any tardiness from you. Understand?"

"Yes!"

Later that afternoon, I passed by Makishima. He was busy texting on his cellphone, so I didn't bother him, but when I entered the club room I saw Naruko and Sakamichi completelyfrozen stiff. I waved a hand in front of their faces to get their attention, "You guys okay?"

"We're okay." They replied in a shaky tone back to me, although the fear stricken faces on them completely said something else.