Queen of Persia Chapter 17

Copyright © 2012 preciious-diamondz 

Chapter 17

Haman grinned wickedly.

“Well, my king, I have been observing a particular group of people who behave differently.”

“Is there anything wrong with difference?” asked Xerxes, frowning slightly.

“Oh no my king, Persia is known for welcoming in a vast range of people from all over the world. I believe that is part of the reason why we have so many foreign merchants travel through here every year. But I am talking about a people that threaten to undermine your authority as king. They ignore our traditions and put their practices above all else. They worship a foreign god and refuse to pay their respects and offerings to ours. I fear if you let this continue to happen, you will face greater problems from them. It is only a matter of time before they rise up against you.”

The king took a moment to think on what Haman had said to him.

“What would you suggest I do then?” asked Xerxes, furrowing his eyebrows.

“If the king is so inclined, let an edict be issued to destroy these people. I am willing to pay thousand talents of silver to your treasuries for the officials who carry out this business.”

The king fiddled with his signet ring, sliding it up and down his finger slowly, as though he were mulling over what was to be done.

                                                                 ***  

Esther sat in her own private quarters for the remainder of the morning. She was still hurt over her husband’s harsh words and even harsher tone. If she could detect something sinister in Haman’s demeanour, why couldn’t her king? She prayed quietly to the Lord, pleading with Him to make her husband see her distress.

“How can he be so blind? I thought he loved me Lord. I am his queen, should not my best interest be his too?"

Esther continued to throw questions at the Lord and became increasingly upset when she did not get an answer. It was in this time she felt truly alone. The last question she asked before ending her plea was crucial – what more would come out of the mysterious man named Haman?

                                                               ***

“I can assure you my king, this is the right thing to do,” said Haman, eyeing the king’s signet ring as he fiddled with it in his hands.

King Xerxes looked up at Haman and away from the ring. He extended his arm foward and offered Haman the precious item.

He spoke in a quiet manner.

“Keep your money, and do with those people whatever you wish.”

Haman bowed his head, silently rejoicing at the power he received.

“I will not fail you my king.”

Xerxes nodded.

“Go and carry out what is to be done.”

Haman bowed again and left the king in a hurry, not wanting to waste any time.

He wanted to go home feeling satisfied at what he had achieved. On his way out he saw the eunuch who had shown him to the king. Hegai was watching him suspiciously.

“It’s a shame he is not a Jew,” muttered Haman, marching out of the palace.

As he neared the king’s gate he looked around.