Queen of Persia Chapter 14

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 14

Mordecai sat outside the king’s gate, enjoying the light breeze that swept past him. He closed his eyes and began to drift off to sleep, blocking out the noises around him. 

Just as he was getting comfortable, two of the king’s officials who were leaning against the gate began to argue. They were not overly loud, but since they were right behind Mordecai, he found it extremely difficult to ignore their bickering.

He decided to listen in closely, as he was curious as to whom or what they were fighting about.

“I’m telling you poison is the quickest and safest way. It’s small enough to conceal and easy to use,” said the fist official.

Mordecai’s eyes grew in size. He was shocked at what was being said.

“A dagger would also be quick though,” argued the second.

“Ah yes, but it would be easier to slip the poison into his majesty’s drink than to stab him. He feels nothing until it’s too late. If you try to strike him he may be too quick and overpower you. Besides, I have already bought what is needed.”

“And who will carry out their terrible deed for us?” asked the second.

“We will talk more of this in private. There are too many people around here.”

Mordecai turned around slowly and glanced at the two officials, trying to see who they were without making his presence known. He stifled a gasp when he realised who the men were. Bigthana and Teresh were two of the king’s most trusted officials!

Mordecai turned back around and ran a hand through his hair. There were trusted men within the castle’s walls who wanted to kill the king. He knew at that moment he needed to get a message to the queen.

                                                               ***

Esther sat under the shade of a tree, quietly praying to her God. Her eyes were closed and her head was bowed. It was in these still moments when she had time to herself that she could really listen and hear the voice of her Almighty Lord. Her eyes snapped open when she heard someone approaching. She turned to see Hegai walked alongside a very sweaty Mordecai, who look as though he had just run a thousand miles.

Esther got up quickly and went over to them. A look of concern played on her face as she surveyed her uncle.

Hegai cleared his throat and spoke up.

“You have a visitor my queen. He has insisted he has a message of great importance and that he must notify you of immediately.”

Esther nodded.

“Thank you Hegai, I will be able to take it from here. I will send him back to you once he has finished talking with me.”

Hegai bowed before her and walked off, leaving Esther and her uncle in the secluded garden.

She reached out and touched his cheek tenderly.

“What ever is the matter dear uncle? Why do you look so pale, and why are you panting?”

Mordecai gulped down some air before replying, “I have discovered treason inside your palace walls.”

Esther drew back.

“By whom? You must be mistaken uncle.”

Mordecai shook his head.

“I have uncovered a plot to kill the king.”