Queen of Persia Chatper 7

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 7

Josie felt a little better after giving Esther some ‘helpful advice’, although she felt a small pang of guilt. Was it really fair that she would ruin Esther’s chances just because her night didn’t go to plan?

She shrugged the thought off quickly, not wanting to dwell on her scheme. She looked to Esther, talking to Hegai in low whispers.

After a quick nod from Hegai and a short reply from Esther, the pair walked towards Josie in a brisk manner.

Once they got to her, Esther went back inside the room and picked up the dull blanket, walking back out and handing it to Hegai, giving Josie another sympathetic smile as she walked past.

Josie looked down at the blanket in Hegai’s hands and shook her head firmly.

“I’ll look like a beggar,” said Josie, frowning at the blanket in Hegai’s now outstretched hands.

“It will ensure anyone who isn’t in bed will mistake you for someone who is just a servant. If they see you as a candidate and get a close enough look, soon enough you’ll have a group of girls around you asking what went wrong. Would you like for that to happen?”

Josie grabbed the blanket off him and threw it around her shoulders.

Hegai turned to Esther and smiled.

“Thank you for all that you’ve done tonight, please go to bed now and sleep. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be even more chaotic than today.”

Esther nodded.

“Yes, I have a feeling too. Goodnight Hegai, and I hope you settle in Josie,” said Esther, saying the last part quietly.

Josie gave her a fake smile before turning with Hegai and walking back the way they had come, mainly to avoid any girls who weren’t yet in bed.

Esther watched as the pair went down the hall; the only noise made was the light tapping of their feet against the cool marble floor. No doubt there would be a lot of speculation as to what happened to Josie on her one night with Xerxes.

                                                               ***

Xerxes laid his head on one of the many pillows that were evenly placed on the bed. It had been a big day, and that girl whose name had only just slipped his memory was the thing that had tipped him over the edge.

He replayed the encounter over in his head; wondering if he could have done or said anything else to her. If it had been one of his advisors or guards he would not have been as merciful to them, but then again they knew the rules and had been under protocol for far longer than the young woman who had come to see him.

If the young woman hadn’t of been so rude and naive then perhaps he would have given her another chance. Xerxes had felt completely insulted by the way she acted, especially towards the end.

He thought back to how she had looked when she appeared before him and chuckled. He couldn’t see her for a good minute from all the gold that covered most of her body, and when he did get a clear view of her face, all he could look at was the tiara that sat perched on top of her head.

He hoped not all the girls would think as she had – for it would take a lot more than beauty and poise to win the heart of this king.

                                                               ***

Esther slipped back into her room and plopped herself down on the bed. The king had not found any kind of favour in Josie, which had come as a surprise to Esther. Josie was one of the most beautiful girls in the way of looks; so why hadn’t the king spent even a little longer with her?

Esther shuddered at the thought of what that could mean, for she herself did not want to be used for one night, and then carelessly thrown aside the next morning.

She allowed her mind to linger on Xerxes and what he would look like up close. She had caught glimpses of him throughout the year and had seen various statues of him, but had never been close enough to take in his full appearance.

‘What would he think of my appearance?’ she asked herself.

Would simplicity and natural beauty win him over when piles of jewellery and cosmetics did not? She puzzled over the thought and wondered whether Josie had told her the truth, or was she secretly jealous and envious of her.

Esther shook her head; she could not go back on months of learning about the king and simply change her mind so close to the time. Making quick decisions based on one account; especially from an unreliable source was never a good idea as far as Esther was concerned.

She shut her eyes and prayed to YHWH, asking him to give her strength and courage for her upcoming night.

                                                               ***

“We are here Josie,” said Hegai, tapping on a door softly.

A few seconds later, it opened up to reveal a middle-aged woman looking down at Josie.

“She’s the first of the lot?” asked the woman, clearly referring to Josie and her botched night.

Hegai nodded.

“How many of the girls should I expect to be getting?” asked the woman.

“All but one of the candidates,” replied Hegai,

The woman sighed heavily.

“I suppose this one didn’t even get her night, it’s not even midnight yet.”

Hegai nodded again.

“Her name is Josie, treat her well. She’s been thrown into this rather quickly, so please be patient with her.”

The woman looked at Josie sympathetically and held out a hand.

“Come now my child, I’ll see to it you have the best of everything here. This is an envied position by many women throughout the provinces, so don’t think you’re getting a bad deal. You will now live the life of the privileged few, and believe me, that really is something to talk about!”

Josie obediently took the hand the woman was offering, afraid of this new place and wanting to make at least one friend so she didn’t feel so alone.

Hegai gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze as the woman took Josie out of the cool night air and through the entrance.

“She will be taken care of Hegai, as well as any other of the candidates that come through these doors,” said the woman.

“And I am so grateful for that,” said Hegai, bowing his head and giving Josie a reassuring smile before he turned to leave.

Josie watched as he walked back the way they had come; distress clearly shown on her face.

The woman shut the door quickly; cautious of upset Josie further.

“Now now dear, don’t weep,” she soothed, wrapping an arm around Josie’s shoulder and guiding her towards her new home. “Everything will be just fine.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

I apologise for the length of it...I'm getting into the most important weeks of my schooling life so please be patient (even if the chapters are shorter than they should be!) Thank you again for all the support, this story is now entered into the Watty Awards ;D Worth a shot right? <3 SWFF will be updated within a few days too!