Queen of Persia Chapter 10

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 10

Tara gripped Hegai’s hand tightly as she neared the king’s private quarters. She wore a frown upon her face and whimpered when she saw the guards that stood on each end of the door to the king’s room.

Hegai stopped short of the door and turned towards Tara. He gently removed her hand from his and placed both his hands on her shoulders lightly.

“Everything will be alright Tara. This is your one night with a king; it should bring you joy just as much as it brings him. Be respectful of him and do as he asks, and I’m sure you will find some kind of favour from him. He is the king of Persia, and tonight he is giving you the chance to prove yourself worthy of being not only his wife, but also his queen.”

Tara nodded, taking in what Hegai had said.

“I will do my best,” she whispered quietly.

“And that’s all anyone can ever ask of you,” smiled Hegai, giving her shoulders a quick squeeze before letting go.

He nodded at the guards, who walked a couple of steps over to the door’s handles, pulling on them to get it open for Tara.

The girl took it as her cue to move, so she gathered up her dress’ hem quickly and stepped towards the entrance, giving Hegai one final smile as she walked over to where the guards held the door open for her.

She crossed the entrance and stepped into the king’s inner room, waiting for the guards to shut the door.

“Your Majesty?” she called once the door had been shut.

“You may come forward,” said the king from his bed that was shielded by the silk cloth.

Tara nervously came forward, looking around and gazing at the vast room. Once she got to the silk cloth, she picked up the folds and opened it up, to reveal Xerxes sprawled across the bed, looking rather tired.

She stepped past the silk curtains and bowed low before the king.

“You may stand at ease,” smiled the king, happy to see at least one girl respected him.

He studied her features carefully, taking his time while looking her over.

“I see you’ve opted for a lot of fine jewels,” commented the king, not taking his eyes away from her.

Tara looked down at herself and back to him.

“I thought it would please the king,” she replied.

Xerxes was amused when he heard this and began to chuckle.

Tara frowned.

“Is something the matter my king?” she asked.

The king looked at her and merely smiled.

“What would you know about what I like? Did you ask someone, or simply guess?”

Tara’s frown deepened.

“I guessed, for who could I ask that may know?”

The king shifted his weight on the bed and look at her with an eyebrow raised.

“I do believe Hegai is taking care of you all. You didn’t bother to ask him?”

Tara shook her head.

“Hmmm...I am now curious to see if any girl had bothered to ask what pleases me, instead of merely guessing in the hope they get it right. Although I am being unfair to you, for I hardly know you or your personality.”