Queen of Persia Chapter 3

Copyright © 2011 preciious-diamondz

Chapter 3

During the first six months of Esther's stay in the harem, her uncle Mordecai had been busy asking numerous individuals about what would happen to the girls in relation to the king. He was horrified to find out everyone but the girl who was chosen queen would become concubines and would never be allowed to see their families again. Mordecai knew even though it was an envied lifestyle, if Esther were to become one she would always have a sense of loneliness and isolation.  He kept Esther in his daily prayers, and would catch a glimpse of her every now and then. He took delight in hearing from her (on the rare occasions when she could meet him by the east gate), and was happy that she could still keep most of the Hebrew laws in regards to their eating habits. His reassurance that everything would work out according to YHWH was also another thing that got Esther through when she felt so alone and afraid.

                                                              ~ 6 months later ~

“Esther wake up,” squealed Laleeia.

“What is it?” asked Esther, slowly opening her eyes.

“We have new beauty treatments for the next six months!” exclaimed Jess.

“Yes, the perfume and cosmetics,” said Laleeia.

In the past few months, Esther had seen a dramatic change in the girls.

Jess and Laleeia seemed more selfish and would push their way to the front often to get the best of everything.

Esther still tried to be friends with them – but found it hard to relate to either of them anymore.

Some of the other girls were even worse – treating the servants with little respect (if any) when it came to just about any kind of activity they were involved in.

“And that’s not all,” said Laleeia in a sing-song voice. “I’ve heard rumours that Hegai will announce the best candidate so far. The girl will be given extra privileges.”

“It will probably be me,” said Jess, giggling at the thought.

“But I think I’ve stood out a bit more than you Jess,” said Laleeia.

Esther looked from one girl to the other and saw a fight was about to erupt.

“Who wants breakfast?” asked Esther, jumping out of bed and following some of the other girls.

“Hey Saya!” called Esther, walking in step with another friend of hers.

Esther had made a fair effort in making friends with any girl she could; feeling it was important to be surrounded by people she could at least talk to.

“Hey Esther. How are you?”

“Absolutely fantastic,” said Esther, linking arms with her.

The group of girls followed the path that led to the usual spot of breakfast.

They could see Hegai standing there with seven hand maidens.

“Must be something important,” whispered Saya.

“Ladies, before breakfast I would like to announce the queen candidate that has really stood out not only to myself but to the guests who have visited.”

The girls began to murmur with excitement, wondering if it would be them.

“This girl,” continued Hegai, “Has continuously displayed grace, poise and kindness to everyone she has met. She never starts a fight nor does she show any disrespect, even to the people lower than her. She loves to learn new things and does not give up on anything put before her...Esther, would you please step forward.”