Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

“Oh whatever, Mum!”

“Excuse me?” she said, trying to grab my arm as I turned towards the door.

“Look, just let me breathe for a while,” I said, exasperated, as I turned and wrenched open the door, not paying attention to how loud it banged as I slammed it behind me in my mum's astounded face.

The air outside was fresh - exactly what I needed. Though it was also harsh and slightly abrasive, nipping at my skin and tightening it. Instant Botox - thanks nature!

Mum could use some of this air (not because of the whole Botox thing), because it’s relaxing. Either that, or she needs to take some of my pain killers, they have a slightly subduing effect. Either one would be fine in my opinion, just something to make her smile and chill out for a bit.

Ever since I started school again after my operation she has got even worse. I love that she cares, but it would be nice if she could care a little less. Stressing over me so much is worse for her health. She won’t let me live my life, I’ve got to grow up sometime, and she’s holding me back. I fully understand why; I mean, if I were her I’d be careful and take care of my child as best I could too, but that includes allowing said child having her own decisions to make.

In a fruitless attempt to block out the gusts of wind, I pulled to edges of my denim jacket together, and did the buttons up as quickly as I could with my numbing fingers. Wearing dresses and jackets, even with boots and tights, in March isn’t a good idea; not in England anyway. Of course, I wasn’t planning on going outside, but the impromptu argument with Mother Dearest made me suddenly change my mind.

I understand her concern, after what happened to Emma all those years ago, she’s never been the same. Now with Daniel moving out, it seemed like I was the only child she had left, she wanted to make sure I was okay; wanted to keep me close.

But I needed some space to be myself.

I was crazy, unpredictable and a tad irrational, but I was enjoying life that way. What’s the point if life if you don’t enjoy it. I know how quickly and brutally it can be ripped away, so it’s important to take full advantage of it.

I had been blessed with an amazing opportunity, I had been given a new heart, and with it a new chance to have a proper life, for a while. I sure as hell wasn’t going to let that slip past me!

I finally slowed my pace, closing my eyes while letting the ferocious wind battle my body, tossing strands of my already messy hair around me like a whirl pool. I felt empowered, like a superhero - but without the powers. I’ll just have to make do with my basic human abilities. Though, if I were a superhero I think I’d want to have invisibility, I could pull off so many pranks. Oh, and flying would be cool, since I’m way too lazy to walk. But I suppose that flying would take effort. Maybe mind reading…or not, that’d be quite intrusive and potentially extremely disturbing. You never know what people are thinking about, and sometimes that’s for the best. Some people are complex though, it takes time to figure them out, and others though, like Mum, are a complete open book.

A bird squawked and flew overhead. I turned my face upwards, opening my eyes, seeing the lone bird fly across the sky, free, but alone. White clouds filled the baby blue sky, plump and fluffy like whipped cream. I could see the glow of the orange sun, honey coloured like my eyes. It was desperately trying to provide warmth to the cool earth, with no such luck.

I sighed and walked the last few steps towards the bench that sat on the outskirts of the park.  The wood was deep brown and flaking at the edges, damp from last night’s rain. The golden plaque however, still sat proudly, embedded into the wood. I pulled my sleeve of my jacket over my hand and used it to wipe the remaining moisture off if it. The writing was still clear as day, though it would be to me always, I knew it so well.