Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The dirty off-white walls that were coated in graffiti flew past my vision in a blur as I raced down the hall. The sound of my shoes thudding on the carpeted floor was lost under the chatter of other people. In a flurry of motion, my body collided with another. Tasha wrapped her arms around me as I returned the embrace.

The infamous pig squeal was back. I just couldn’t contain my excitement, and the result was the awful, animalistic sound. But right now, I didn’t care. I was finally seeing my best friend, my non-biological sister, again after too long of being apart.

Tasha pulled back from me and held me at arm’s length, examining my body for signs that something may be wrong. “You’re even paler than usual! How did you manage that?”

I laughed, of course that would be the first thing she said to me. “I just have skill!”

We continued to giggle like the stupid girls we were and hugged again. My jaw hurt from the huge grin that was planted on my face, and my eyes stung with unshed tears. Tasha, not being one to hold back, was letting the tears flow freely as she bounced up and down on the balls of her feet and flapped her hands in front of herself.

“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh,” she repeated over and over again. “I can’t believe that you’re okay.”

I rolled my eyes playfully at her whilst saying: “you knew that I was okay. I rang you as soon as I could and spoke to you.”

“Yeah,” she admitted, “but it’s not the same as seeing you in the flesh and talking to you in person!”

“Well, I’m here now, and as you can see, it’s all good.”

I wouldn’t tell her that I shouldn’t have run. She would have got worried and gone all mother-like on me. I was just glad that things were going to be getting back to normal. Well, my version of normal. I had missed Tasha, with her over-sized jumpers and jean shorts, her non-stop talking, and general hyper activity.

We linked arms as we began to walk down the corridor, heading towards our sixth form common room. Standing there outside the door was a group of people that turned towards us and attacked us in a group hug. Happiness started to gather in the pit of my stomach and spread through my veins, warming up my entire body. It was so good to be back and to see familiar faces.

“I’ve actually missed you guys so much,” I cried. I covered my face in my hands, not wanting to let everyone see me cry. That would have been embarrassing. More so than my girly-pig-squeal. Despite my attempts at hiding it, they all saw me. A chorus of ‘aw’ and ‘honey, don’t cry’ filled my ears. I just couldn’t help it. I was so happy and relieved to see them again. It hadn’t been long, but we were a very tight knit group of friends. They’d all been so supportive and helpful to me. They always were. The liberation that everything had turned out fine was more obvious than ever.

I went round and hugged each person. I was so happy that everything was okay. I was so happy that I was finally back. Tasha began to jump up and down again, arms flapping in front of her as usual. Her cheeks were flushed with excitement, and my cheeks must have been stained with tears, leaving a trail of mascara smudged down my face. Very glamorous for my return.

“Goodness, Rosie. Not meaning to be rude or anything, but sort your face out. You’ve got make up everywhere now,” Allie said whilst handing me a small pack of wet wipes. She was always the one who came prepared. Out of everyone in the entire school, she probably had the biggest bag to hold all of the ‘essentials’. That basically meant everything that you could possibly need in any possible circumstance. Right now, I was incredibly thankful that she packed so many things, including the face wipes.