Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I was sitting in an especially riveting biology lesson, with the balding teacher enthusiastically talking about dissecting various animal parts, and its relevance to medical history, when my phone began to buzz. I had received the metaphorical memo of no mobiles allowed during lesson hours, but I chose to ignore it. I couldn’t wait until I was old enough to develop ‘selective hearing’!

Whether my teacher heard it, or chose to ignore it, I didn’t know, but I still hurried to quickly press the ‘reject call’ button as quickly and discreetly as possible. Placing my mobile on my chair, I turned my attention back to the teacher. He had a slide show displaying the hearts of different animals. Any other time, I’m sure I would have been as interested and enthralled as the rest of the class, but frankly, I was sick of the sight, or even the thought of hearts.

That’s all I’ve been hearing lately. It was all blah, blah, blah, heart transplant. Blah, blah, blah heart accepted. Blah, blah, blah, it’s not healthy for your heart. I just didn’t care anymore. Especially about the human heart. I was sure that if I had any questions on the exam about hearts, that I would be able to ace it.

I rested my head against the cool material of the table. I couldn’t be bothered. I was so tired and bored. The two went together hand in hand very well. The joys of sitting in the back was that you could get away with murder. Even more so if the teacher was fond of minimal hearing and only seeing what was in the first few rows. Ask him to see what’s going on in the back of a classroom and he’ll say nothing, but put a frog in front of him, and ask him to take it apart in a certain way, and he could do so no problem. Some things, I’ll never understand.

I was relaxing contentedly, my eyes drifting shut with the murmurs of the classroom lulling me to sleep, when my phone began to buzz again. I groaned and lifted my head off the table, blinking my eyes to clear them so that I could focus on the name that was lighting up my screen. I wanted to repeatedly bash my head against the table when saw my mums name and a photo of her splashing across the screen.

Instead of hanging up or denying her call again, I chose to sit on the phone. If I let it ring through to voicemail, then hopefully she’ll get the hint and give up. When the damned device finally stopped ringing, I let out a sigh of relief and sloppily placed it on the table. I decided to start focusing on the tasks we had been given. It was text book work, and not very exciting, but I was the one who wanted to return to school, so I might as well do the work whilst I was here. I couldn’t start getting too far behind.

As my phone came to life for the third time in forty five minutes, I debated whether it would be easier to just throw the bloody thing out of the window. However all of my anger disappeared when it showed Daniel was ringing. It was a bit strange; he knew I was in school, but I still chose to answer the call once I was out of the room, having used my medical pass to get me out of there. It was kind of cheating, but it worked.

“Hello?”

“Sup?”

“I don’t know, idiot, you rang me!” there was a slight pause before I impatiently asked: “What do you want?”

There was another, longer, pause in which someone cleared their throat, but apart from that, nothing happened. It seemed it would be up to me to start, and keep the conversation going.

“By the way, do you know where mum is?”

I heard him chuckle, trying to muffle the sound and cover it up with a cough before responding. “Ah, yeah. I’ve got a pretty good idea where she is?”

“What, so she’s with you? Can you tell her to stop ringing me, it’s annoying, and I’m trying to sleep!”

“Excuse me young lady!”