Chapter Five

Chapter Five

“Now, remember, all your meals are in the freezer, just heat them up okay? Oh and use the microwave, not the oven. But don’t stand too close to the microwave either, just in case. Here’s a list of all the times when you need to take medication,” she threw me a small note book with lined paper full of her neat, cursive writing, “and please, please only take them with water. Oh, one more thing-“

“Mum, mum! I got it, you can go now. You need to or you’re going to be late. I’m a big girl; I can take care of myself.”

“Yes, right, erm okay.”

I rolled my eyes at her slightly neurotic behavior. It was something I’d been doing a lot lately, only to be reminded every time that she was only ‘taking care of her baby girl’. Thank you mother dearest, really, thanks, but I was sure that I could look after myself now. Mum walked towards the door, walking backwards so that she could keep her eyes on me at all times. Though, I reckon there’s no need to, I still believe that she’s got eyes in the back of her head. I wouldn’t put it past her.

“Bye honey, love you!” she called as she walked out of the door.

“Love you too!”

Then she was gone. It was time for a few days alone in the house. I thought day one would have been enough to kill me, evidently not. Not quite yet, anyway. Today, that might be a different story.

Ignoring my mum’s whole ‘don’t get up unless it’s absolutely necessary’ rant, I got up anyway. However, it was for a valid reason: to put Harry Potter on. That was my chosen series for today. Of course, I had to have the popcorn to go with it. Didn’t want to get hungry, mum wouldn’t approve. Whilst I was up, I also decided to grab a Coke.

Really, it probably wasn’t the best choice, considering that I needed to take tablets, and that I needed to be healthy to recover quicker, but I couldn’t resist. No one would know, aside from Daniel, who was my Coke smuggler. He was a good brother sometimes.

A short while later, my phone buzzed at me. It began to ring with the sounds of an old telephone whilst still vibrating. I looked at it with disdain. Turning off the alarm, I made a mental note to change my alarm ringtone as soon as possible. I could see the current, sensible one that my mum picked, getting very boring very quickly.

Nevertheless, I opened my bottle of Coke and popped my first pill into my mouth. Taking a swig of my fizzy, I held it there for all of two seconds, and then it exploded. The carbonated drink fizzed even more, reacting with the tablet, creating a mini explosion in my mouth. If I was going to be taking tablets multiple times a day for several weeks, then for the rest of my life, I might as well make it as entertaining as possible, right?

Once I had repeated the same process for the necessary amount of times (three if you were interested), I laid back down on the couch, where I had made a nest of blankets to cocoon myself in. With my now cold popcorn back on my lap, I settled back down to watch the movie.

I think it’s safe to say that after another round of popping my pills and finishing the third Harry Potter film, I was sufficiently bored.

‘Hi!’

I sent to Callum via text message, thinking that if I was bored, I might as well spread it around. It suddenly came to my realisation that Callum visited at random hours during the day. Meaning that he missed times off of school; to visit me, a random stranger. That was rather nice of him. Unfortunately, his attitude wasn’t as great. I suppose it was the thought that counts. Or did that only work when it came down to giving presents?

I was bored and thus feeling highly impatient as I decided to send another text.

‘My bad, this is Rosie. If you were wondering. I’m not a stalker.’