Chapter 21

Sorry for the long wait, and now I'm posting this without being completely satisfied with it because I don't want to keep you waiting longer, so sorry for that too. (Bit more cursing than usual, thought I'd warn you)

“What did you see over there?” Harry asked, feelings of awe towards Zayn as if they’re little kids again. You used to be a superhero on the playgrounds if you went closer to that house than others dared to. The myths varied from it being haunted to it being in use by a cult, Harry once even picked one up about a cannibal living there. It gave him the creeps.

Zayn took a sip of his tea as he rearranged his thoughts. Louis was clinging onto him almost painfully, while Harry and Liam were just crowded close, waiting for him to speak up. Zayn absentmindedly ran his hand through Louis’ hair, feeling guilty for not calling and freaking them out, but even more confused and curious by what he had seen. 

“Well, I was walking home when I saw someone near that house. I was curious so I took cover and watched.” Liam’s hands were massaging Louis’ so they’d loosen their grip on Zayn’s shirt, the two boys exchanging a glance above his head. 

“It was this buff kind of guy, around thirty or something.  He walked up the steps and he rang the doorbell, waited a bit and it opened.” Harry’s eyebrows shot up. “So someone really lives there?” Zayn pursed his lips. “Yea, I think so. When he got in I crept a bit closer, hiding behind a parked car.” He continued, feeling a bit as if he was telling a made-up story instead of what happened to himself just an hour ago. “Sounds like proper James Bond.” Liam chuckled quietly. Zayn kissed him, grateful for him lifting the spirit a bit, as it started to feel like a horror story. 

“I waited a bit and after about fifteen, twenty minutes he came back out again.” Zayn took another pause to formulate his words. 

“For God’s sake, Zayn, get on with it. You’re worrying the hell out of me, it’s not funny.” Louis protested, burying deeper into his chest as Zayn apologised quickly. “Sorry love, it’s not that scary or anything, I promise. It’s just that I scanned the building a bit as the man left, and I saw a bit of light coming from one of the rooms.” Harry was listening intently, staring the words out of Zayn’s lips with held breath. 

“It was a child, couldn’t see if it was a boy or a girl but they looked about thirteen or something. I just... I know it might be irrational to think they have a shit life because of the house, but it just doesn’t feel right. Like, if I just let this go that kid might get hurt or something. I just can’t let it go.” Harry exhaled, slumping against Liam’s chest, ignoring the small bursts of pain as he moved. “Jesus, no, we can’t just ignore this.” He spluttered, looking at Liam for confirmation. 

He looked back with a shrug and a tug of the lips. “I didn’t grow up here, I don’t even know where that house is, so I have no idea if it’s rational.” He reasoned. “I believe you if you say it is, though.” Louis nodded too. Zayn nodded contemplatively. 

“So, what’s the plan, then?”

The plan was going back there again, ring the doorbell and see what would happen. So a few days later, they did. The other boys were waiting in the car around the corner and Zayn had them on speed dial. He’d take in what he’d see and act upon instincts, something Louis wasn’t settled with in the slightest, but reluctantly had agreed to when they realised there wasn’t really anything else to do. They couldn’t really make a plan because they had no idea what was going on there. That night was about changing that.