Chapter 33

Their next lesson was with Major Goodwin, a blustering but strict old man with a red nose and bristling, white goatee. He strode energetically around the lecture hall, belying his portly frame.

'Demonology is key in supporting your spellcraft and etherwork. It concerns the identification, understanding, and upbringing of all demons, as well as the study of the geography and diversity of the ether. This includes demonic impact upon the summoner's mana levels and their fulfilment.' He spoke in short bursts that left the front row of nobles flecked with spit. Fletcher was glad to see that Tarquin was directly in the firing line, and judging by the disgusted look on his face, he did not enjoy being bathed in saliva.

Unfortunately, Fletcher's smile drew Goodwin's attention.

'You boy, what is a summoner's fulfilment?' he asked, pointing at Fletcher.

'Ummm . . . his happiness?' Fletcher suggested. Wasn't it obvious?

'A laughable answer. A summoner's fulfilment relates to how many demons they are able to harness. I had hoped that someone fortunate enough to be gifted with a rare demon would take time to research this before their first lesson. Obviously I was mistaken. A shame,' Goodwin said, shaking his head. Fletcher felt his face burn as he reddened with embarrassment. Isadora turned and smirked at him from the row below.

'Could someone who came prepared explain? How about you, Malik?' Goodwin questioned.

'Sir, every summoner is born with varying capacities to absorb demonic energy,' a tall, dark-skinned noble said. 'For example, Captain Lovett only has the capacity to harness and control one Griffin and one Mite. Another summoner might be able to harness and control two Griffins, because they have a higher fulfilment level than she does.'

'Correct. The old King Alfric has a fulfilment level of one hundred, the highest ever recorded since we began classifying demons. Using the example of Captain Lovett again, we know that she has a fulfilment level of eleven, given that her Griffin is a class ten demon and her Mite is a class one demon. What else?'

'Fulfilment levels can improve,' Malik said after a pause.

'How?'

'I don't know, sir.'

Goodwin took a long angry sniff through his nose.

'Not good enough. The answer is that fulfilment levels grow naturally at varying rates for each summoner as time goes by. This process can be sped up by the hard work of the summoner in question. Captain Lovett was not born with the fulfilment level required to harness and control a Griffin. She had to work up to it by the constant use of spellcraft, entering the ether and regularly battling and harnessing other demons. Some summoners spend their entire lives with a fulfilment level of no higher than five, whilst others start at five and work their way up to twenty or so. Well, why aren't you writing this down?' Goodwin shouted, sending a fresh spray of spit into the crowd.

The others pulled parchment from their satchels and began to scribble. Fletcher stared at his hands miserably, realising he had none. Everyone else had known they were coming to Vocans weeks ago and had brought the correct materials, but Fletcher had forgotten to buy some in the few days he had been there. Goodwin bristled as he saw Fletcher's inactivity.

'Fletcher, is it?' he growled.

'Yes, sir,' Fletcher replied, ducking his head in embarrassment.

'Whilst the others are busy learning, perhaps you can tell me what happens to a demon once his summoner is killed?'

Fletcher contemplated the question, eager to redeem himself, even if by guesswork. He knew that dead demons were often preserved in jars and sold as curiosities. But surely something must happen when the summoner died and left the demon unharnessed . . . unless it was a trick question? Fletcher remembered Rotherham's story about Baker and the demon that would not leave his side, even in death. Perhaps it was a trick!