Chapter 11

Fletcher stood up and squared his shoulders, tipping the imp on to the floor. It yelped in protest and darted into the back corner of the mausoleum.

'Is that you, Fletcher?' asked Didric, squinting into the darkness. The entrance was the only part of the chamber that was visible in the dim moonlight, so Fletcher was likely just a dark shape in the shadows. Didric began to walk towards him.

'What do you want, Didric? Isn't it past your bedtime?' Fletcher asked, his voice filled with confidence he did not feel. It was better he announce himself now than allow Didric to come closer to investigate. He wanted to keep the tombstone in between them.

'The little sneak is in here!' Didric called out, but there was no need; Jakov and Calista were already standing behind him. Their black silhouettes were stark against the moonlit graveyard, giving Fletcher the small advantage of knowing where they stood. But the fact that they were barring the way out definitely did not help his chances.

'Caught like a rat in a trap,' Didric said with sadistic relish. 'Not so clever now, are you, Fletchy?'

'I see you've brought your two nannies with you,' Fletcher said, wracking his brains to think of some way out of there. 'Three against one is it? Why don't you fight me like a man? Oh wait . . . we've already tried that.'

'Shut up!' Didric snapped. 'You sucker punched me. If it had been a fair fight, I would have beaten you into a pulp.' His voice was taut with hurt pride and anger. Fletcher knew his only way out of this was to take Didric on, one on one.

'So fight me now. Let Jakov and Calista see what would have happened if I hadn't,' Fletcher said with as much conviction as he could muster. He clenched his fists, and took a step forward. There was silence for a moment, then a chuckle.

'Oh no, Fletcher. I know what you're trying to do,' Didric laughed. 'I won't be fighting you today.' His cackling echoed in the chamber, sending a shiver up Fletcher's spine.

'Fine, don't fight me. Let's hurry up and get this beating over with. I have things to do,' Fletcher challenged over Didric's laughter. He ran his hand along the lip of the stone covering the crypt entrance, frantically calculating. He knew that there was another entrance to the catacombs below, in an abandoned chapel just outside the graveyard. If he could somehow get this entrance open, he might be able to get out through there. He felt the telltale crack underneath that told him that a heavy tablet sealed the entrance. It was a long shot, but he would need to lever the lid off in slow stages so the others didn't notice. It was a good thing Didric loved the sound of his own voice.

As Jakov and Calista joined in the laughter, Fletcher eased the tablet a fraction away from him, flinching as he heard the scrape of stone against stone. This was going to take longer than he thought.

'You idiot, we aren't here to beat you up either,' Didric said with glee, barely containing his mirth. 'No, we're here to kill you, Fletcher. How perfect that you chose a graveyard to come to tonight. Hiding your body will be easy.'

Fletcher's blood froze as he heard the rasp of swords being drawn from their scabbards. He gritted his teeth and heaved, succeeding in pushing the tablet back another inch, but it wasn't enough. He needed more time.

'Kill me? With Pinkertons in town? You're more of a fool than I thought. Berdon knows where I am, he will go straight to them if I'm not home soon,' he bluffed. But Didric ignored him and took a half-step forward.

Fletcher tried again. 'Half the village saw our fight last night. You're going to spend the rest of your lives in prison over a disagreement that only started two days ago?'

He spoke loudly, trying to cover the grating sound as he managed another few inches. Didric paused and laughed.

'Oh, Fletcher. My dear father has the Pinkertons wrapped around his little finger,' Didric said, unconcerned. 'They'd sooner arrest each other than the son of their new business partner.' Fletcher paused and tried to think. Business partner? What was Didric talking about?