Chapter 3 ~ Ryley Versus Feelings & Sad Songs

I hope you guys are enjoying this story so far.
Chuck reference title: Every Chuck episode is 'Chuck Versus...'
Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------

Ryley sat down on the bleachers of the sports field. She liked to come to the bleachers sometimes just to think and watch the practices the football team and Cheerios have. On the right end of the field, the football team, the McKinley Titans, were taking up that end and practicing. New members seemed to be trying for the team. She spotted Lucas taking off the football helmet with a smile towards Coach Shannon Beiste. He might've made the team. She also spotted one of the new Glee guys, Zach, taking off his helmet but seeming a bit alone.
She looked down the other end to see the Cheerios practicing a perfect routine with Coach Sue Sylvester screaming nonsense about how they must think this is tough when she's been through god knows what. The crazy cheerleading coach is also shouting different nicknames at the different Cheerios.
One of the new Glee girls, Samantha, seemed to be trying out of the Cheerios, performing flips that were as good as Jake's ones last year. She was good and Coach Sue seemed impressed by her gymnastic abilities.
Ryley went down the bleacher steps with her backpack on her back. Lucas noticed her and went towards the bleachers but stayed on the field.
"How's football?" Ryley asks.
"As good as I thought it would. Beiste thinks I have some real skills. She told me if I do well during next weeks game, I'll be the quarterback." Lucas says with a smile. Something about his smile makes her smile. It's a pretty adorable smile.
"Is it worth moving from Dalton to play?" Ryley asks, leaning on the bleachers barrier.
"Totally. It's pretty awesome playing football for McKinley. It's not the only reason I came here though." Lucas says.
"What's the other reason?" Ryley asks. Her eye contact connects with Lucas' for a moment and they seem to have a moment just looking into each other's eyes.
"Um," Lucas says, breaking their silence, "I have to admit I was really excited about coming here because I wanted to get to know you better. You're awesome, beautiful and an amazing singer. You were so awesome the other day during that performance in the courtyard."
"Thanks. It's good having another friend around while I'm without Ryder." Ryley says. She feels like she's being punched in the stomach when Lucas' smile fades away. She knows that he has feelings for her but right now, all they can be is friends. She feels a bit guilty friend-zoning him.
"I'm glad I'm around." Lucas says.
"Tanner! Get back over here!" Beiste shouts.
"Gotta run." Lucas says then rushes over to Beiste and the football team.
Ryley sighs. She walks up the bleachers and takes a seat towards the top of the bleachers. She looks out across the football field and begins to hear that imaginary band playing in her head.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday

She spots Lucas playing a game of football with his team mates for practice. He spots her after he scores a touch down and smiles at her, sending her a quick wave. She waves back.

Suddenly, I'm not half the girl I used to be
There's a shadow hanging over me.
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

She begins to think about Ryder. He texted her on the first day of Senior Year and hasn't since. it has been a few days though.

Why he had to go I don't know he wouldn't say
I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Hey-Ye-Ye-Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday

The whole backdrop changes to the choir room. Ryley stands in the choir room, singing to the New Directions in the seats.

Why he had to go I don't know he wouldn't say
I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Hey-Ye-Oh-Yesterday, love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday
Uh uh uh uh uh uh