Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Tryouts are now over and after a full week of practicing, the boys have their first game of the season tonight. And they've only had a week of practice.

We'll see how well this first game for them goes.

My grandma Barbara is attending the game tonight. She's involved with all of our sporting events, and I'm thankful to have a grandma like her. See, her husband, my grandpa, died only a year ago, leaving her in a deep depression for months. We thought she was going to pass not long after because of it, but we got her better before she was able to get worse. Now, she hasn't missed a game.

"Oh, my little Claire!" she happily says, hugging my neck from behind after she sits on the bleachers next to my parents. "I can't believe you and your brother are seniors!"

I smile, tapping on the iPad in my lap. The iPad is for keeping stats from the game, such as shots and who shot them and turnovers and who turned the ball over. The coaches were ecstatic last year when they discovered an app that organizes it all for you. Apparently it "saves paper."

Weirdo's...

"Claire, sweetie?" Grandma asks, cupping her hands on my shoulder. "Point out that boy your mom was talking to me about."

My eyes grow wide and I'm no longer facing the court. "What are you talking about? Mom, what the heck did you tell her?"

Laughing, they both look at each other. "Your mom told me you like this one boy. Oh, number thirteen." She points to the court.

I don't have to search the court to know that it's Andrew's number. "Mom, I hate him! Why would you tell her I like him?"

My mom looks all around her. "Lower your voice, Clariss, his parents could be around us."

Sure enough, before I can answer, his parents and little brother are sitting next to them. My dad and George, Andrew's dad, move up to the row behind them to talk like "dudes" do. They're both close friends from work. Our families have been close for ages, and like I mentioned before, Andrew and I used to be friends, until he went sleeping with the whole school.

Andrew's little brother, Austin, a fourth grader like Hollie, moves down by me. "Hi, Claire," he smiles.

He's a lot more polite than Andrew. And, he doesn't call me Claire bear. "Hi, Austin. How are you doing, buddy?"

"I'm alright," he answers. "I don't want to be here."

I laugh and pull up the app on the iPad. "Why not? Basketball is fun to watch."

"I hope we lose," he grumbles.

"Hey, remember, I go to this school, too. Don't be badmouthing it." I point my finger at him. "Why do you hope we lose?"

"Because I want Andrew to lose." He looks at me and smiles. I like this kid. "He kicked me really this morning."

"Why did he kick you?" I ask, peeking at Andrew on the court, thinking how heartless he can be to kick such a sweet fifth grader. I mean, his little brown eyes are the cutest things.

"Because I took the last donut," he explains. "And I took all the hot water this morning and he had to shower in cold water."

That's a good reason, actually. If Hollie does that, I yell at her and in extreme cases, hit her lightly. Andrew probably used all his strength, which is a lot. "I'm sorry, Austin. Where did he kick you?" Once I mention it, he winces and looks at me. I put my hand on my mouth and pat his leg. "Now I'm really sorry."