Chapter 26 - Relationship

So I guess I have a relationship with Niall. A secret relationship and let me tell you: it’s more exciting than what you imagine. Knowing that all this is our secret, that no one else is part of it and that so many people oppose to this makes it even more thrilling. I know my two stepsisters would push me off a cliff for getting near Niall. Rhonda would make sure I’d burn in hell with Satan for touching one of her precious celebrities, AKA her money. And let’s not forget his fans. I bet that if they knew I’m with Niall they would send lovely letters telling me how much they hate me and that I shouldn’t be near Niall.

Really, it’s exciting!

Being all secretive, organising so no one sees us yet finding time to see each other. I didn’t think I was going to enjoy this so much.

I carry on with my days as normally as usual, cleaning rooms, toilets, doing the laundry, helping at the pool, so on and so forth. In that sense, it’s like nothing has changed. But I do sneak out sometimes, to meet him. Most of the time at the stables, that’s our place. And we go horse riding almost every night.

I haven’t told Charlie and Liv yet, nor Harry. I’m really enjoying the secrecy and I want to make it last for as long as I can. It’s our little world, I guess, and other people would ruin it. But of course, my friends know me. Especially Charlie. So they note the change in me, they see how my smile is everlasting, how I’m in such a good mood, how I don’t even hit Charlie when he says something cliché and I just mock him. I blame Niall. That boy is so cliché I guess I’m getting used to it little by little. I wouldn’t be surprised if by the end of summer I end up doing a musical number with him.

“So, Ella dear,” Charlie starts when we’re having lunch together, almost two weeks after Niall took me to the picnic to pay the bet. “Since when are you and Niall together?” He asks and I choke on my food, spitting it like in cartoons.

“What?!” I exclaim, still trying to collect myself from my near-death experience. “What are you talking about?”

Charlie actually rolls his eyes and I hear Liv chuckling next to me. “Don’t give me that ‘cos I’m still hurt that you didn’t tell us before,” he says, rather dramatically if I say so myself. “Spit and cut the whole show already. It’s obvious you two are together.”

I’m getting worried that people can read me that easily.

“How can it be obvious?” I ask, not exactly confirming it but not denying it either.

“‘Cos you’re all smiley and he’s all smiley too, and you never have dinner with us, and I dunno, you just look happier, like a girl in love, you know,” he states and I feel myself blushing.

No, I’m not in love with Niall. I’m sure of that. I like him very much and I may be falling for him, but I don’t know him enough to be in love. But that could happen, and I’m not closed to that possibility. And surprisingly, I’m not against it either. Falling in love with him doesn’t seem that bad anymore.

“So, when?” Liv intervenes and I can’t help it, I look down at my lunch on my lap, a smile making its way to my lips.

“Aw, look at her. Charlie, Charlie, look at her! Take a picture, please. I’m begging!” Liv dramatises, bringing me back to reality and I smack her playfully.

“Don’t be an idiot!” I shout but Olivia and Charlie are laughing so hard at me. At the end I laugh, too. Just because I’m happy, happier than I usually am.

I know I’m angry most of the time, I know that I hate this place and the kind of life I have, but I’m not miserable. I have good things and I always try to focus on those things to keep me going. Plus, summer is almost over, which means I’ll soon be out of this place. And as if that wasn’t enough, now I have Niall and he makes me happy, in a way I didn’t think it was going to happen. It’s not exactly like he’s the other half I was missing my whole life, but he’s a plus. A lovely and unexpected plus.