Chapter 8 - The Summer Ball

By the time Liv finishes with me and I look at my reflection in the mirror, I actually believe she’s some kind of fairy godmother because I can’t recognise myself. And I’ve been seeing my reflection for eighteen years now, I really know how I look like.

My hair is normally plain blond, curly and it falls up to the middle of my back. It’s not really curly but it’s not wavy either, it’s just curly and I normally have to wear a ponytail for work, so I really don’t do anything with it. But Liv straightened it and then did some waves, which makes it look almost like it’s moving all the time. It looks alive, in a very special way. I really love how my hair looks, it even shines like it’s never happened before. I’ve never had my hair straightened before and I quite like it.

I have a dark makeup, but you can’t see much because of the mask that covers more than half of my face, but you can see my eyes that look greener than usual due to the magic of makeup. I don’t know how’s that possible or how my eyelashes can be that long. This is not natural, it has to be magic.

And as if that wasn't enough, the dress is absolutely perfect. It falls with so much grace and elegance that it takes my breath away. At the back I have strings that keep the corset in its place, making my waist look smaller yet I can breathe without problem. It’s a strapless design, long and it’s almost like a princess dress… like the kind of dress I used to dream of when I was a little kid… when I still hoped I would meet my prince. I gave up on that dream long time ago, anyways. Liv also made sure to add a pocket somehow to hide my phone so I could feel it vibrate in case Rhonda decides to go and check on me.

I have to be honest… I do look like another person, like a radiant person… like a princess.

I turn to face Liv who’s wearing a beautiful and sexy blue dress. She’s smiling proudly of what she’s done and I can’t help it and smile as well. “Told you, Ella, that you’d be unrecognisable.”

“Thank you,” I reply instead and her smile widens. “I don’t look like myself at all.”

“On the contrary, you do look like yourself. Like you should always look, Ella.”

I don’t say anything. Dad and Mum always called me a princess and when I was a little girl I felt like the princess of the little kingdom that our family was; but since Rhonda appeared I only feel like the poor little maid.

Someone knocks at the door and I know it’s Charlie, no one else knows we’re here. That’s the reason why he doesn’t wait for any of us to tell him to come in, he just opens the door and the moment he sees us, his jaw hits the floor. Almost literally. “Holy shit,” he exclaims. “You look amazing. Both of you… Ella you… wow.”

I blush because I’m not used to Charlie telling me these kinds of things. He’s always treated me like a little girl, almost like one of the boys and that’s what has kept our friendship for so long. It’s as weird as having your annoying older brother telling you that you look pretty.

“Everyone is gonna be in your faces. I’ll have to protect you both,” he states and Liv chuckles as she starts walking over him.

“Don’t. I want a cute man to flirt with me tonight, so please stay away from me,” she tells him patting his shoulder and Charlie shrugs as saying ‘I tried.’

I smile as I walk up to him and my best friend offers me his arm. “Let’s go,” I say and he smiles widely at me. “Before Rhonda decides to go after me.”

We leave Liv’s room and head to the ballroom where the party is at its best. Almost everyone is dancing. You can feel the vibrations of the music through the floor and walls, echoing around you. As we get closer, I get nervous. I’m afraid Rhonda will manage to recognise me although I can’t even do it myself. You really can’t see my face and the way I have my hair today even softens my features. It’s incredible how much you can change with one different hairstyle.