Chapter Six:

Anna's POV:

My hand made a loud smack on Jack's cheek and he jumped away startled.  "What was that for?"

"Don't ever kiss me again," I replied.  I started for the front doors and opened them quickly.  As I went forward, the magic that Jack used to keep me in, bounced me across the room and I landed near the dining table.  Jack tilted his head and chuckled at me.

"You see, you never learn.  This is exactly why I put the force field up again," Jack shook his head and left the room in anger.  I laid on the ground, stunned, from my previous trials of escaping.  I had completely forgotten that he'd put it around the whole house.

"That was my answer Jack!  I don't miss them at all and I don't miss you!" I called, even though I knew he wasn't listening.  I picked myself off the ground and stood in my spot for a while before heading toward the basement stairs.  I might as well see what he's cooking up.

I tried the handle but it wouldn't budge.  I sighed and summoned my powers to see what kind of shield it was.  I raised an eyebrow when I couldn't find a spell that was put on it, so I figured it was just locked.  I quickly unlocked it with the Lock Spell and slipped through the opening.  Jack would be furious if he found out I was coming down here, but he wouldn't find out.  I locked the door behind me.

As I turned around a slide confronted my line of sight.  I sighed and sunk to my knees where I carefully climbed onto the slippery surface.  As soon as I let go of the handle I was slipping down the slide.  A small piercing scream threw itself out my mouth and I covered it as I twisted and fell through the house.  It seemed to never end.

I could see light at the bottom and I gripped at the slide in desperate hope to slow myself.  I had no idea of what could be at the end, but I hoped that whatever it was was not going to harm me.  Suddenly the slide began to get sticky and I was beginning to gradually slow down.  I closed my eyes as my feet hit the cement on the bottom of the slide.  I regretted opening them again when I saw who was raising his eyebrow.

"I leave you for five minutes," Jack started.  "And this is how you repay me?  By disobeying my only rule?"

Disgusted he grabbed my shoulder and dragged me to a lonely cell in the corner of the room.  I quickly glanced around to get my bearings.  There was nothing but the cell in the room.

"Jack," I moaned.  "Let me explain..."

"Sure," he pulled me to a stop and thrust his hands forward in frustration.  "Explain."

"I figured you were working on something, and I wanted to see it.  I'm sorry that my curiosity got the best of me," I replied.  He glared at me and then rolled his eyes.

"That's not going to cut it," he growled.  He grabbed my shoulder again and shoved me into the cell, locking it behind him.  Before leaving he turned back to me.  "You know, I thought we had something going on up there," he pointed to the ceiling and I sighed in guilt.  I should have listened to his rule.  "But now I can see that you're still the annoying eighteen year old that I was dating way back then."

He angrily stalked towards the slide and before I knew it he had opened a door that showed an elevator.  It must connect to the slide room.

Exhausted from this little adventure I sunk down and put my head in my hands.  A sob escaped my lips and a tear trickled down my cheek.  I would feel a lot better if I let it all out, but I was learning to keep it in.

As the time went on I feel into a fitful sleep where my past haunted me mercilessly.

***

His eyes connected with mine from across the room and he slowly made his way to where I stood.  I tried to act as ladylike as I could since it was my first ball.  I stood awkwardly as he came closer through the dancing couples.  As soon as he was close enough to talk to I turned around and lost my nerve.

"Miss Annabell I presume?" he said in a deep, rich voice.  I turned again and wrung my hands together, the white gloves I had on twisted into little balls of fabric.

"Good day sir," I answered.  His lip quivered as if he were trying not to laugh.  He put out his hand and I took it.  Bending down he kissed it and then slowly he rose.  "I'm sorry, but you haven't introduced yourself yet.  What is your name?"

"Please call me Carlos," he replied, a smirk playing on his lips.  I blushed and looked excitedly around the room.  He seemed to be contemplating something before turning to me.  "Would you do me the honor of taking this dance?"

I blushed even more before answering.  "I do."

He took my hand and led me to the dance floor where he proceeded to dance with me the rest of the night.  As soon as the dancing was over I was naive enough to exit with Carlos in front of my parents.  As soon as we were outside Carlos took my hands and smiled.

"Will you meet with me again?" Carlos asked.  "Tomorrow afternoon?"

"I don't know," I doubted.  "My parents are strict..."

He put his finger to my lips and slowly bent down to kiss them.  As we parted I blushed and quickly turned to leave.

"You haven't answered me yet!" he called.  I turned and smiled at him.

"Meet me at the oak tree at five o-clock sharp," I replied.  As I turned again I saw a small smile appear on his lips and then, just as suddenly as it had appeared, it was gone.

***

I woke up in a frenzy and quickly stood up.  "Let me out!" I screamed.  I banged on the cell walls and kicked the door, hurting my toes in the process.  I ran my hand through my hair in fright.  I hadn't had a dream like that in a long time, Jack must have been playing with my mind.

I was still breathing hard when I heard the swoosh of something sliding down the slide.  I jumped back as Jack appeared at the entrance of the room.

"Hello beautiful," he sang, glaring at me.  "And how did you sleep last night?"

He had a smirk on his handsome face and I felt like reaching through the bars and strangling him--

"I don't have to tell you anything," I choked out.  "I have the feeling that you already know."

"Ah, but that's where you're wrong.  That dream was all your fault.  You made me mad so I showed you a taste of what it used to be like and how happy we were together..."

"You're despicable Jack.  I'll never fall into your traps again," I turned away from him and sat near the wall.  "Go away if you're not letting me out."

"I will go away then, because you still haven't learned your lesson.  Prepare yourself for another dream tonight.  It will be worse than last night's dream."

He left without another word and I sat in silence, contemplating what had just happened.