The Stone of Life: Book Four: The Messenger

This book will be switching between characters.  I will indicate who it is at the beginning of each change.  :)

Eric's POV:

Prologue:

I had ample time to get to the castle.  I couldn't wait around any longer.  Suddenly a wagon appeared on the road that I had been running on and I waved it down.

"Please," I said between puffs of breath, "let me ride with you.  I need to get to the castle!"

The driver stopped his horses and looked down at me with a quizzical expression. "Now why would ya want to do that?"

"Please sir, I am running out of time.  There is no time for questions and answers.  Please give me a lift, I've been running for at least two miles already!" I wiped the sweat off my brow and raised my eyebrow.  The man rolled his eyes and patted the seat next to him.

"Hop on."

"Thank you sir, you will not regret it!" I slid onto the seat and puffed some more.

"My name's Dunken.  Pleased to meet you.  What would yar name be then?" he glanced in my direction before watching the road again.

"It's Eric," I huffed.

"Eric.  What a name.  I suppose ya wanna see the king for food?  Ya look hungry," he assumed.  I shook my head.

"I'm going there for business.  I have to check up on something," I replied.

"Are ya a guard there?" Dunken asked raising his eyebrows.  "Or maybe yar a spy... now that would be interestin'!"

"I'm neither of those," I replied getting tired of his talk.  "Now if you would please hurry."

"My horses are old, they don't go fast no more," Dunken answered.  You'd probably run fasta than them.  You could probably walk faster than them!" he started laughing which set off a series of hacking that sounded like a sick dog.  I grimaced.

"Thank you for the lift Dunken," I clapped my hand on his shoulder and winced slightly as he pulled the team to a stop.  "But I won't be going with you the rest of the way.  Goodbye."

"Now hang on just a moment," he pulled on my shirt as I started to rise.  "Ya didn't pay me."

"Trust me when I say that I will.  Come to the castle on Tuesday and I will pay you."

"How do I know you're not lyin'?"

"I give my word," I replied.  "Now I really must go!"

I jumped from the wagon and started running again.  It would take me another fifteen minutes to get there.  Hopefully it wasn't too long.  How long had it taken for me to wake up?  Would Anna wake her and then leave immediately without a hello?

I stumbled on a piece of rock sticking out of the dirt and quickly caught my balance.  Now that would be bad if I fell and hit my head.  Anna would have to save me again and I would be forever indebted to her.

As I neared the gates Karm smiled.  "My Lord!  You look like you've been through..."

"Never mind that," I huffed.  "I need to get in straight away.  Search everywhere for Anna please.  And don't stop until you find her!"

I quickly dashed through the grand double doors and into the main hall.  A few guards jumped to their feet at my sweaty figure.

"Where have you been?" Kirk asked, coming forward.  "We have been trying to track you..."

"Where's Anna?  Did she come through here?"

"O-of course not," he stuttered out.  "I haven't seen her since she was stabbed."

"Not Laura you idiot!  Anna!  The girl that has the stone!  Where is she!  She must have come in by the gates!"  I ran my fingers through my hair and glared at him.  "Search the castle and don't stop until you find her!"

"Well we can't really do that if we don't know what she looks like, my Lord," Kirk replied steadily.  "Give us some sort of description."

"If you haven't seen her before in the castle, then you've found her.  Now move!" I bellowed.  I ran through the familiar hallways, paying no heed to the pictures that lined them.  There was only one thing in my mind: Anna.