Chapter Nine:

Jack's POV:

Anna huddled against the pole while I came forward with the golden dagger.  Using magic I made it hot enough that it would burn her to the point of snapping and then she'd tell me where the stone was.  She winced as the blade cut her skin.

"That's going to take three days to heal," she hissed.  "You better be prepared for Eric's wrath."

"Eric's not coming in any time soon.  I set a spell that keeps humans out."

"Maybe he's not human," she struggled to say through the pain.

That thought never came to me, and I suddenly realized that he was in fact hanging around with my soulless enemy.   I put down the dagger and Anna looked at me with confusion.

"What?  Too scared to face your fears?" she asked airily.  I grabbed her waist and yanked off the necklace, leaving it on the floor for someone to find later.  She looked at me in bewilderment.  "What are you doing?"

"Lead me to the stone," I whispered urgently.  "I'm tired of this game Anna.  Just lead me to the stone.  Transport us there!"

"No," she replied, pushing me off her.  "I won't.  I can't trust you anymore!"

She turned to transport and I grabbed her arm to stop her.  "Please Anna.  I don't want to be soulless anymore."

Defeat was overwhelming and I couldn't keep the tears anymore.  I let go of her arm and sunk to the ground.  As she turned to walk from the building, rather than transport herself from it, I lifted my head a tiny bit to spill the truth.  "Anna..."

She stopped but didn't look back.  "What?" she asked, her voice free of emotion.

"The only reason I betrayed you... was to save you."

"From what?  You?  I don't think so," she started to walk again and I heard the door slam behind her.  I hung my head to hide my shame and fear.  What was to happen now?  Without the stone I wouldn't be able to make us human again.  A blackened tear flooded from my face and turned to mist as it hit the carpet.  It would be the first time I've cried since the day I was turned.