Chapter 18 - Bailey.

I let my hand drop from Tim's mouth, at the same moment, my own mouth fell open in surprise. I barely had a moment to understand what had happened when Jess closed the door and I heard his footsteps begin down the hallway. I quickly slipped off Tim's lap and onto the slippery wooden floors, my socked feet making it almost impossible for me to run. I swung the door open with all my strength and ran to catch up with Jess, “It's not what it looks like!” I said, grabbing his wrist as he walked, but he didn't seem to have any intentions to talk it out, “Please, Jess, let me explain,” I begged, but he didn't even look back at me. I put my feet firmly on the ground, still holding his wrist in my hands, and I tried to at least pull him to a stop. My socks begin to drag along the floors, and I felt defeat, “Let me explain!”

“Explain what?” He turned around and snapped, like a cornered animal that was begin poked with metal poles, “Explain it then, I'd love to hear what crazy excuse you can come up with!”

“Dude, chill,” Tim was suddenly behind me, and we both swung around with death glares.

“You're the last person I want to see right now,” Jess snapped, his face going slightly red with anger, “You always up to something, aren't you?” He pointed an accusing finger at Tim, “You really know how to take away all the hope that people have!”

“How dare you?” Tim snapped, his voice louder than Jess's; which had been pretty loud, “I don't take away people's happiness! Damn you!”

“Tim, Jess,” I tried to sound calm, hoping that my mature and composed act would have some sort of impact on the situation, “Let's calm down and sort this out like humans,” I put on a fake giggle, trying to help ease the tension.

“You're not helping,” Jess said coldly, his glance not much warmer either. It was only a moment that he looked at me though, and when he looked back at Tim his defenses went up.

“I know,” I said, panicking, “Just calm down a little, please?” I stepped forward, trying to get in the middle of them, but I hadn't noticed that they had been stepping closer slowly the whole time, Tim flexed his wrist, and his fingers closed into a fist. I stepped forward towards him, and tried to sooth him, “Tim, let's talk this out, wouldn't it be easier?”

“Stay out of this!” He shouted as he swung his arm out, hitting me in the stomach. I stepped back a few steps – actually I stumbled – and I glared up at him. The pain in my stomach didn't measure to anything that I had experienced before, but it hurt more that he didn't care that he had hurt me.

“Don't you dare touch her!” Jess snapped, his fists clenched.

“Oh yeah?” Tim challenged, “What are you going to do about it?”

“Are you okay Bailey?” Jess's gaze softened when he looked at me, and I felt my eyes sting with tears. After that, it was all a blur.

“Over here,” I heard Tim say. Next thing I knew they were tossing punches at each other, lying on the floor. I ran forward, I think, and someone grabbed me, tugging me into a hug and told me that it was okay. I heard other people in the room, but eventually I gave into the hug.

I blew my nose again, gosh, I had cried so much. I splashed me face with ice cold water and looked in the mirror: anything but presentable. My hair was a big frizz, my eyes were puffy and red, and my nose was red, too. I took in a deep breath, there was nothing I could do about my appearance, and as I opened the bathroom door, I told myself that again.

“Hey Rudolph,” James smiled when I walked out, “Get it, because your nose is red... Sorry.”

“I get it,” I said as I walked over to my bed where he had seated himself, “Tell me again, how did you guys get there in time?” I sat directly across from him, making an effort to keep distance between us.