Chapter 2 - Bailey.

“It's quite the relaxing sight,” I said as Tim sat next to me in the sand, the sun beginning to set.

Back up at Jeff's house, all the adults had a beer and were relaxing as their food cooked, a few men barbecuing the meat, and the women in the kitchen making salads and buttering rolls. I moved away from Tim slightly as he sat besides me, and I was glad when he hadn't noticed.

“Why aren't you with your friends?” I asked quietly, my eyes focused on the setting sun, and I knew that Tim's friends were there because I had seen him go to them when we arrived at his house.

“I saw you coming down here, and I assumed you'd want some company,” He smirked when I looked at him, but he didn't turn to face me.

“Oh,” The sun was almost set, “Thanks.”

“Anyway,” He stood up, and offered me a hand up.

I took his hand and he quickly pulled me up; his hands were big, and warm... We began to walk back together, the sun almost set, making the sky above us seem like someone had set fire to it.

“Want to go for a swim?” He asked, with a wild look on his face.

“Now?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, leave your shoes here,” He smiled and began to walk down towards the water.

I smiled, this was completely bonkers, but I knew I wanted to go; with him, at least. I put my shoes in the sand, and removed my necklace, tracing the sapphire with my finger as I slipped it into one of my shoes. I jogged down to where Tim was standing, and stopped as the water began to lap at my feet. I dug my toes into the sand as I felt the iciness of the water, and it sent a chill up my spine.

“Maybe not,” I said, still unsure if he was being serious.

“You sure,” He looked out at the ocean, as though the answer would come if he stared out dramatically.

“Yeah, it's so cold,” I looked back, “Come on, let's go.”

“Yeah,” He said after I began walking up, and quickly wrapped his arms around me, “Actually, let's swim.”

I began to struggle, laughing as he tried to push me into the water, and when I looked up at him, he was grinning. We struggled down to the water slowly, and whenever it seemed like I was going to win, he'd take over and pull me deeper into the water.

The water was well above my knees, and it was really cold... so much for summer. Tim let me go, and I quickly turned to face him, but he grabbed my hand before I could go any further away. He pulled me close to him, and looked at me like he was going to kiss. He held my face with one hand, and had the other around my waist. I smiled, and saw the big grin appear again. Tim shoved me into the icy water, but I managed to drag him down by instinct. We landed in the cold water, and a wave splashed over us. I sat there, trying to get used the water, but it was just too cold.

“Well done,” He chuckled, “You got us both soaked now.”

“You were going to let me swim alone though,” I teased, and he splashed me as a response.

A small silence passed, the waves growing lower, and the sky slowly getting darker.

“We should get out,” He said, grabbing my hand and pulling me up, “It's just too cold.”

We walked up the sand dune, and I quickly grabbed my shoes on the way up. It wasn't until we showed up at the kitchen door did my mum freak out.

“Bailey! Aren't you cold?” Her voice was loud, and all the other ladies stared at us.