Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Jonathan levelled his eyes at the younger kid. He could almost feel Alex's need to strangle him right now. He could actually imagine heat waves emanating from all around Alex.

"The kid was taken," Alex stated simply.

"Yep, that's what happened," Jonathan replied, just as plainly. He even pointed at a self-inflicted wound on his forehead which needed stitching, indicating that he had to get hurt before Natalie was taken. Which, of course, was not the case, but surely, Alex doesn't need to know that part.

Alex ran his tongue on the inside of his lower lip, studying Jonathan's aloof behaviour. "Would you mind telling me how exactly that happened?"

"Yes, actually. I would mind." Jonathan examined his fingers tiredly.

Alex slammed his hands on the desk, jumping up with a ferocious glare blazing in his eyes. He was done tolerating Jonathan's frustrating behaviour. "How could you let one little girl go?! Are you stupid?! The Council would have our necks!" he screamed at him.

"Bummer," Jonathan commented drily, but he suddenly straightened at something Alex said. "But, wouldn't that be, 'The Council would have your neck'?" he pointed at Alex confusedly.

Alex glared at him. "I swear to everything that I have... If the Council doesn't kill you, I will."

Jonathan cracked a smirk. "Looking forward to it." He gave Alex a two-finger mock salute and left the room. He whistled a happy tune as he made his way to his room. Getting Alex all riled up like that is just the sprinkles to his huge serving of plans.

He jogged down the flights of stairs to his room. It was so sad that he had to throw - or more specifically, smash - away the phone he used to help Dan. That was brand new. But... oh well. He already did everything he could possibly do to help the situation improve. Now, the strings are out of his hands. He has nothing to manipulate this game anymore. It's all up to the Cahills now, Jonathan thought as he flopped down his bed. He chuckled as he thought about how alike he and his twin think. Maybe they do believe that Cahills are the saviour of the world.

xxxOOOxxx

"The least you could say is, 'thank you'," Hamilton reiterated, glaring at the back of Sinead's head. He's been implying that point ever since he came and Sinead just stuck her nose far up in the air.

"You're welcome," she replied promptly, not even turning around to look at him.

Hamilton rolled his eyes at Amy who shrugged apologetically at him. "She's exceptionally disagreeable today," she reassured him.

"Isn't she always?" he muttered.

Sinead pretended not to hear them and continued on stomping in front of the group. Hamilton volunteered to be the chauffeur who would lead Amy's group back to the jet - naturally - and it wasn't really appreciated by everybody. Jake and Evan stayed close behind, carrying the unconscious Victoria in a makeshift hammock. Sinead reached the jet first and harshly tugged at the door. It didn't budge. She tried again with much more force this time. Nothing.

Hamilton towered over her. "You need help?" he asked, having trouble keeping the amusement out of his voice.

"I -" tug, "can -" pull, "do it -" tug, pull, "no, thank you!" Sinead huffed, gripping the metal handle with both hands and heaving the door with as much strength this time.

Hamilton rolled his eyes. He placed a hand over both of hers and pulled at the door with one swift motion. The door opened almost immediately and Sinead could have sworn that it was smug to open when he tried. Hamilton removed his hand and gestured at the open door. "Ladies first?" he said genially.