Five

I woke up smiling. It was finally Christmas. I got out of bed and went to brush my teeth. The door that was leading into Nick's room was open and he was sleeping like a baby. You could even hear the light snoring. I laughed and walked into his room, jumping on the bed.

"It's Christmas! It's Christmas! Santa is here! Get up!" I sang very loudly.

Nick eye shoot open and he sprung up. I stopped jumping and smiled at him. Waving.

"Hi, it's Christmas" I said.

Nick rubbed his face and chuckled in his hands. "Mmmhmm" he mumbled. I dropped down on the bed, laying beside him.

"Are you not a morning person?" I giggled.

Nick laughed and took his hands from his face, turning and looking at me.

"I see that you are."

"well, it is Christmas!" I reply.

He smiled and his eyes were warm. I smiled back and played with the golden brown duvet, almost the same color as Nick's eyes.

"What did you want for Christmas?" I asked Nick, brushing some strands of my hair from my face. Nick looked down then back into my eyes.

"Nothing, really." he replied.

I cocked my head to the side.

"C'mon, we all want something for Christmas." I said pushing his shoulder.

I rest my elbow on his pillow and lay my head in my hand.

"Tell me, I won't laugh,"

Nick pursed his lips together and then laid on his back fully, staring at the calling.

"A home for my mom and I."

I studied him and like every other woman, I felt sorry for him. Him and his mother was spending Christmas at a strangers home.

"Where do you guys live anyway?" I asked him gently.

"Well its obvious, we live in shelter with about a hundred other people" That was something I didn't know. All this time I've been giving Nick grief since I meet him. And lastnight was the worst! I was being the most selfish bitch ever!

"Nick... I'm sorry" I said.

He looked over at me and chuckled, "What? No side joke?" he asked playfully and hit my arm, making it lose it's balance and my head falling on his pillow.

"No, I feel bad now... the way I treated you was horrible!" I say. Nick just rolled his eyes and chuckled, "It's cool Demi."

I played with my fingers and laid on my stomach. "So you forgive me?" I asked him.

"Why not? You welcome me into your home, not the in the best attitude, but you did. So thank you,"

Suddenly I felt the urge to hug him, so I did. "You're welcome" I mumbled in the nape of his neck. Once we pulled away I'm sure my face was a little pink. Having Nick's arms around me was sort of protective and warm which made me nervous.

"So what do you want for Christmas?" he asked as he glazed his tongue over his dry lips.

"Well...I wanted to go to Aspen with my cousin for the holiday-- but your dad made you help out?" he finish as I nod my head. "It's not that bad anymore." I tell him.

I definitely did not want Nick feeling sorry for me. I am still fortunate enough to spend the holidays with both my parents and get anything I want.

"Will you tell me what happen to you and your family?" I asked bitting my lip. This might be a little touchy for him. I would understand if he said no. "You mean why we're living in a homeless shelter?" he adds.

"You don't have to--it's ok." He cut me off before I could apologize again.

A couple of seconds went by and Nick rubbed his forehead. "Um.. our house burned down a year ago and the insurance never came through, so me and my mom were forced to live on the streets."

"You guys didn't have any close family or friends you could've stayed with."

Nick nod his head. "My mom was with too much pride then, too much that she tried staying in motels until she got back on her feet. That never happen though until she meet this preacher then we ended up in the shelter."

"That's horrible" I whisper. "So what do you do about school?" I asked him.

"I went, she wasn't about to let me lose my education over a stump in the road. I graduated early because I went to a reform school."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"That's for delinquents I thought?" I asked biting my lip in suspicion.

"Don't worry, I'm not some future criminal. I wanted to do it and my mom talked to the principal."he said smile heartily at me. "that was nice.... I guess" I said shrugging my shoulders.

"Where's your dad?" I asked.

Nick's smile and face dropped. Damn, Demi, you did it again. After a minute Nick cleared his throat and glazed into my eyes.

"He was never in my life." he said coldly.

I felt even worse for him and his mom. She had to try and raise him to be a man all alone. I was getting angered by the thought.

"Don't worry Demi, my and my mom are doing ok on our own. Always have been" he said, laughing it off. "stuff like that pisses me off" I say while shaking my head.

"Ya know, you're not that bad after all, you're understanding and sweet." Nick said.

Once again, my cheeks warmed and I smiled at his pillow.

"So you can stop calling me the Grinch now?" I said. Nick nod while smirking at me. I got up and walked back into the bathroom.

"Oh and Demi, Merry Christmas" Nick said after me, causing me to stop at the door.

"Thanks, you too."