|31| Lonely Nights

|First Person POV|

I shivered slightly, from the cold night air or the gaze Hisoka was petrifying me with, I wasn't sure which. All I knew was that there was something different in his expression tonight. I could taste it in the air; the haunting metallic tone of blood, the waves of subtle fear radiating off of him. My own incense of desperation that was like a toxin clouding my judgment.

Desperation, and the slightest twinge of loneliness.

"Hisoka... you're still alive."

He gave me that typical half-smirk, but like everything else tonight, there was something different, something slightly off.

Hisoka walked past me, heading straight towards the washroom. I saw the water fall from the shower heads before I heard it. Unknowingly, I had followed him inside.

"There's so much blood..." I said quietly, mostly to myself. To remind myself of the demon that Hisoka was.

"It's not all mine, if that's your concern." Hisoka replied coolly, stripping off his shirt. His pants hung off his lean frame loosely, the v-indents on his abdomen was extremely prominent in the fluorescent lighting, as well as his pelvis bones, which were jutting out sharply.

Cold amber eyes met mine was I stepped forwards, carrying a washcloth.

"Silly girl, I can take care of myself."

I scoffed, trying to break the tension.

"Don't lie, Hisoka. I know you're suffering from several internal injuries. What was it tonight, 1 versus 15?"

Hisoka chuckled, but no longer stopped me as I ran the cloth under the warm water.

"Are you stupid or something?" I scolded as I started to clean the grime and blood off of Hisoka's back. "You can't just stand underneath the shower when you're hurt like this. What if you faint from exhaustion?"

"Trust me." Hisoka said, turning around with that arrogant smile. "I have great stamina."

I narrowed my eyes, annoyed, but stayed focused; I was scrubbing his shoulder blades, which were especially tense tonight.

"You're such a tough guy, aren't you."

Hisoka laughed, and for the first time since meeting him... I realized, looking at his back, just how incredibly lonely he seemed.

"Still. You need to watch out... The last three gods, they're nothing like the ones you've fought so far."

"Why are you being like this?" Hisoka asked suddenly.

I twisted the rag dry, watching as the blood swirled down the drain. Then, I told Hisoka to turn around.

"Like what?" I asked coyly, not meeting his gaze.

"I think the word they use is... nice?" Hisoka asked, his hands catching mine, holding them against his chest. "It's very suspicious, wouldn't you say?"

I struggled to pull away, but it was soon apparent that Hisoka would not be letting me go without answers.

"You're the one that's supposed to break me out, remember? So, I take care of my comrades... My friends."

"So we're friends are we? I'm not just some monster that you're using for your own gain?"

His hands squeezed tighter at the words monster, and I stifled a yelp.

"Hisoka, let go. You're hurting me."

He didn't exactly apologize, but he released me nonetheless. I sighed, and finished cleaning his torso of gore and dirt. I plugged in the stopper, and had Hisoka change into a clean pair of pants while I waited for the tub to fill up.