epilogue

"So I didn't plan on writing an epilogue but it kinda happened anyways. Also, if you listened to the song I suggested, you're probably wondering why there was a happy ending since the song is clearly about teenagers falling in love and having a messy breakup. I was going to use the plot of the song as a foundation for the story but I couldn't stand Dean and Cas not ending up together bc I'm trash so I did a thing. Anyways, here's the final chapter":

Castiel smiles fondly at his grandchildren as they digest the ending of the story.

"Wait a second," Jody says, confusion etched in the knitting of her eyebrows and the tilt of her head. "Where's Dean now?"

Castiel coughs uncomfortably. "He's in the cemetery across the street. Would you like to go visit him?"

The children nod and Claire helps her father out of his rocking chair. Ben hands him his cane and they begin the short walk to the small cemetery.

They finally find the beautiful granite tombstone that reads "Dean Winchester. Loving husband, father, and brother. 1979-2046"

Cas sits down slowly on the grass right next to the hunk of rock and puts a hand on the grass in front of it. "Where is he? I don't see him," Deanna exclaims innocently.

"He's down there, you idiot," Cassandra says, pointing to the spot in the ground where Dean's wooden casket is buried.

"How did he die?" Kevin asks carefully.

~~~

"Dean, we have to get you to a doctor," Cas says, rubbing his husbands back through his coughing fit.

"No. We can't afford that right now," Dean explains, coughing louder.

"We'll find a way. Sam said he could lend us some money-"

"I don't like being in debt."

Castiel allows a small smile to tug at the corner of his lips at the deja vu. "I know. Please, Dean, you need to go to the hospital. This is getting bad."

"I don't want to die in a hospital," Dean finally admits, avoiding eye contact with Cas.

"What?"

"I don't want to die in a hospital. If this is going to kill me, I want to die right here, in this house, with you and the kids by my side."

A lone tear slides down Castiel's wrinkled cheek. "So you're just giving up?"

"I'm not giving up. I'm accepting reality."

"No, I won't let you. You're not going to die because I'm taking you to the hospital right now and they're going to fix your heart and then we're going to come home and you're not going to die."

Dean wipes the multiplying tears from under Cas' eyes. "I'm sorry, angel. This is how it has to be. This is what I want."

Castiel only cries harder, burying his face in Dean's chest and memorizing his scent. "I love you," he whispers.

"I know," Dean says. "I love you too."

The next morning, Cas wakes up in Dean's arms just like he always does. Just like any other day. But when he tries to shake Dean awake, he knows something is different. Dean's chest doesn't radiate the same warmth that it always has, and his pulse is silent. There's a small smile on his lips, as though he's merely having a good dream.

Castiel sobs, shaking Dean harder and harder until giving up and holding Dean's body close to him. He begs for him to come back, even prays to God to take him instead. But he knows deep down that Dean is gone and he's not coming back.

~~~

"That's hella sad," Alex says quietly.

A small tear trickles down Cas' cheek and onto the grass. He bows his head in prayer and asks God when he will see his love again.

As if on queue, a bolt of heat lightning strikes right above the group of kids, but no rain falls. Ben and Claire usher their children back inside, safe from the lightning, but Alex stays with Cas. "You okay, pops?" She asks.

Castiel yawns, his mind starting to nod off. Suddenly he can't remember where he is, who he's with, or why he's there. He begins to panic, looking around frantically for his husband, but finds only a cold stone beneath his palm.