but now that it's all come to an end

Castiel is stressed. And I mean, really stressed. First of all, it's finals week, which is self explanatory. Second of all, Bobby died in the hospital, leaving Cas a worried wreck. All in all, Castiel has never felt like more of an angsty teenager in his life. It's a good thing Michael and Lucifer had to go back, Cas thinks, or he would also be stressed out by the constant fighting.

Castiel's studying is interrupted by a knock on his bedroom door, followed by Gabriel walking in. "Dude, you need to take a break," He says.

"I can't."

"Why not? You get A's every year, I think you can take a short break."

"You know why I get A's every year? Because I don't take breaks."

"I don't think that's why."

"Either way," Cas huffs, getting annoyed, "Why aren't you studying?"

"Because I've already gotten into my dream college. Plus I know that I know the material and I don't need to force myself to memorize every word in my textbooks to get a good grade on the final exam."

Castiel groans. "Then what are you doing in my room?"

"I'm worried about you, Cassie."

"There's no need to be."

"Yes, there is." He says matter-of-factly, causing Cas to shrink in his seat. "I know you, Castiel." He flinches at the use of his full name - Gabe only used Castiel's full name when he was being extremely serious. "I know something's up."

"I'm anxious about the tests. That's it."

"No, there's something else. And I refuse to leave you alone until you talk about it."

Castiel sighs, knowing his brother isn't the bluffing type. "Fine... It's Dean. I'm really worried about him."

"About his uncle dying?"

Cas nods. "I mean how could I not be worried?"

"I get that, Cas, but you went to the funeral and you've been there for him since. There's not much else you can do."

"I know, but it's in my nature to expect the worst."

"Cassie, it's going to be okay. I promise."

"But what if it's not? Dean said Bobby was like a father to him and Sam."

"I know, it's really sad. All you can do right now is be with him. You can't bring anyone back from the dead."

Castiel sighs sadly. "I wish I could," he mumbles, putting his head in his hands.

"Me too, man. I'm sorry, but there's just nothing we can do about it."

"That doesn't make me feel better. Why are you in here again?"

Gabe says nothing as he stands up and leaves the room. Castiel decides to call Dean.

"Hey, Cas," Dean greets after the fourth ring.

"Hello, Dean."

"What's up? You okay?"

"Yeah, I just missed your voice I guess."

Dean chuckles lightly. "Well here it is. Is there something you want to talk about?"

"Nah. How's Sam?"

"Sammy's doing great actually. Studying his ass off."

"Yeah, same here. Final's am I right."

"I guess."

"How are you, Dean?"

"I'm," Dean coughs, as if debating something. "I'm hanging in there."

"How are the dreams?" Castiel asks tentatively, referring to the nightmare's Dean has been telling him about.

"They're every night now."

"Are you going to be okay? You know you can sleep here any time you want."

"I'll be fine. Thank you, though."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." The phone is silent for a really long time. "Hey Cas?" Dean finally speaks, his voice soft and fragile.

"Yes?"

"I think we... I think we need to talk. In person."

That statement instantly fills every nerve in Cas' body with concern and anxiety. "Everything okay?"

Dean hesitates before sighing halfheartedly. "No..."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry," and it's the crack of his voice that make Castiel's eyes sting with tears.

"Dean, what's wrong?"

"Meet me at that field in a couple minutes okay?"

Cas looks outside, then glances at his watch. "It's almost midnight. Can this wait until tomorrow?"

"Yeah... Yeah. Meet me there tomorrow."

"Okay. I love you."

"Bye."

The next day, Cas waits anxiously on the untrimmed grass of the field. There's a tree a couple yards in front of him and a dirt road behind him. He bounces his leg nervously and chews his bottom lips raw.

"Cas," Dean says from behind him, startling Castiel out of his thoughts.

"Hello, Dean."

Dean sits down next to him and stares at his hands. "I think... I think we need to... It would be best if... I don't know, Cas, but we can't do this anymore."

"Do what?" Castiel mentally slaps himself at the stupidity of his question. He knows exactly what, he just doesn't want to say it.

"This. Us."

It's the fact that Dean is already crying that hurts Castiel the most. The only other time he's seen Dean cry was the night Bobby died. Somehow, Cas feels guilty, though he's not sure why.

"Dean." he finally says, and it's then when a tear slips down his face. He turns to face the sky, unable to look at his friend any longer.

"Cas, I'm sorry. Please understand."

"Dean, I just want you to know that I love you. I love you so much." Castiel forces the words out of his mouth because he knows if he doesn't say it one more time, he will hate himself for it later.

Dean makes a sound resembling a choked sob and Castiel suddenly loses it, tears beginning to stream down his face in a steady flow. "I love you too-" Dean says in between sniffles.

"Then why? Why are you doing this?"

"I have to," is all Dean says as he angrily wipes the wetness from his cheeks. "I'm sorry."