i wanna be, i wanna be your toy soldier

"Dean. Dean. Dean. Dean."

"What!"

"You know what today is?" Castiel asks, hope brimming his eyes.

"Friday?" Cas' face falls slightly. He figured this would happen. "Cas, of course I know what today is."

Castiel's face lights up again with a huge grin. He kisses his boyfriend from the drivers seat of his car. Normally, Dean would be the one to drive them around but Castiel insisted on this.

He drives his prized 1978 Lincoln Continental to a local diner that Cas knows has quality food. Dean raises an amused eyebrow at Castiel's excitement as they walk in. "I didn't know you liked diners," he says.

"Who do you take me for?" Cas replies with a sideways smile. Dean doesn't reply, simply smiling at the utter adorableness radiating off of his boyfriend.

The two are seated and Castiel orders a strawberry milkshake and a basket of chicken strips and french fries. Dean gets a chocolate milkshake and cheese burger.

"So? Good choice?" Cas asks hopefully.

"Cas, you could've taken me to a landfill and I would still tell you I loved it."

Castiel steals a sip from Dean's milkshake without him noticing and reaches for Dean's hand.

Shortly after, the waitress brings their food to the table, interrupting the moment."Thank you," Dean says quietly, moving his legs under the table so that they're somewhat intertwined with Castiel's.

Dean kicks Cas' foot lightly to get his attention. The taller boy is shooting Castiel his signature smile, with a french fry sticking out of his nose. Castiel giggles and kicks him back a little harder, putting two fries under his upper lip to make walrus teeth.

This soon turns into a who-can-create-the-most-french-fry-disguises-war. They call it a draw when they both run out of french fries and they're the only customers left in the diner.

After dinner, Castiel drives them to an empty field. He gets out and sits on the roof of his car. Dean is quick to follow. "What is this place?" Dean asks softly, skimming the area with his eyes.

"I used to come here a lot as a kid. Actually, I kept coming until last year. I would come when I was feeling particularly anxious or depressed. It got really bad three years ago, when I came out as gay at my middle school. I came here almost every day."

Dean nods his head in understanding. "Why here?"

"Nobody comes here. It's almost completely secluded. Plus, it's so close to my house that I could walk before I got my license."

"It's beautiful," Dean breathes, though he's not looking at the field or the pink and orange sunset. He's looking at the comfort on Castiel's face, and the way his blue eyes reflect all the various colours around them.

"So calming, isn't it?"

Dean lays his head on Cas' shoulder. "Yeah."

"So Dean... Prom?"

"Duh. Who do you take me for?"

"Blue ties?"

"Sounds perfect."

"You sound perfect."

"You are perfect."

Castiel presses his lips to Dean's in a hungry kiss, carding his fingers through the boys light brown hair.

After nearly half an hour Cas drives them back to his house. Dean and Sam were staying with him while Bobby was still in the hospital.

When Cas walks in the door, holding Dean's hand, he's greeted with a short lived hug by his brother Michael. Then a pat on the back by Lucifer.

A hug by Michael, then a pat on the back by Lucifer. It takes Castiel a few moments to register what's going on. "Mikey!" He finally says, hugging Michael again.

"Cassie!" Lucifer says, but Cas doesn't meet him with the same enthusiasm.

He coughs awkwardly. "Lucifer." Cas steps in front of Dean protectively.

"Oh don't worry, mom told us all about your boyfriend! Hey Dean-o! Long time, right!" Lucifer says, as though he didn't hurt the person dearest to Castiel.

Dean clears his throat. "Uh, yeah. Long time."

"Nice to meet ya, Dean!" Michael says, pulling Dean in for a quick hug.

"Nice to meet you, too. I've heard a lot."

Mike laughs. "Good things, I hope. Wow, Cas, you look amazing! How do you feel?"

"Never better!" Cas says. He truly is excited to see Michael. The two often got along, and Cas would always side with Michael during one of his frequent fights with Luci.

"God, look at you. You look so healthy!"

"I could be saying the same for you! How's college?"

"Great! So glad it's almost over. Got me a girl actually, I plan on popping the question soon."

"That's great, Mike. I'm happy for you."

"Man am I happy for you, too."

"How long are you guys staying?"

"Two weeks," Lucifer pops in.

Cas nods. "I can't wait to get to know Dean!" Michael says, patting Dean on the shoulder.

"Yeah, me either," Lucifer says.