One

I slumped in the back seat of my dad's Mercedes Benz. It's Christmas eve and I'm going to a soup kitchen. Yes a soup kitchen where smelly old hobos are because they are too lazy to get a job and my parents now pay higher taxes. It's not fair that good hard working people have to earn a living for not only themselves, but for hobos too. I crossed my arm and looked out the frosty window and at the passing people that was wrapped up in scarves and wool jackets, rushing to get last minute Christmas things.

I would be in Aspen with my aunt, uncle, and their two kids, Hannah and Anna. But no, I'm stuck here spending my Christmas around strangers who probably haven't took a bath in forever and I have to serve them food with a smile on my face. Soon we parked the car and my dad turned around to look at me.

"ready Demi?" he ask, smiling.

Winkles appearing at the edges of his same big brown eyes as me. I gave him two thumps up and smiled sarcastically at him. "Ready as I'll ever get dad," I reply. He smiled more then turn the switch off, getting out of the car. I roll my eyes and step outside in the cold and crisp air.

Burying my fingers into the warmness of my new Chanel jacket. I watched as my dad popped open the trunk of the car and carried a cardboard box of generic food. Following behind him into the building I watched as people began to greet him. Smiling politely back at them I held my breath. It smelled like poor people here.

"Bathroom?" I asked a woman with curly black hair.

She wore a name tag, but I didn't care to read it. "Hi, I'm Denise, you must be Mr. Lovato's daughter, Demi?" she ask and smiles warmly at me. I nod my head and return the smile. She didn't look like she belonged here, maybe she's one of us.

"It's right through that door and take a left," she explained. I nod my head while walking pass her.

It was a very narrow hallway with pale blank walls. Receiving a new text, not looking where I was going my head rammed into a box. I fell down on my butt. Grabbing my head, hiding the suddenly un-neatness hair I glare up at the cardboard box.

"You inconsiderate douchbag, could you take the time out of your miserable life and watch where the hell you're going? Please?" I barked and stood up dusting my new jeans off.

I stared with furry at the guy behind the box. He lifts the box to the side, trying to get a view of my face, then sat it on the ground. "I'm extremely sorry I didn't know anyone would be in here" he apologized.

"Well next time know what's going on"I said, then huffed past him and into the restroom.

Running into boxes was not what I was expected to do on Christmas eve. Locking the door of the bathroom I sat on the lid of the toilet seat. This is going to be a total drag while I could be sitting in the lounge of the hotel in Aspen. Flirting with the bellboy and stealing breath mints from the mean receptionist.

••••

I sat behind the table while my dad and other people served about a million people food. This one little girl with dirt on her face and torn gloves came up to the table, asking for more cranberry sauce. Mrs. Denise shook her head and the little girl pouted, walking off. I quickly got up and reached into my purse, grabbing some candy.

"Hey, little girl" I say, catching her attention. I kneel down next to giving her my candy. She looked in her hand at the candy then back up at me. "Thank you!" she says, excited at the sugar in her small hand. She began to unwrap the candy and stuff the pieces in her mouth.

"You have a pretty necklace," she says with her mouth full of slobbery candy.

I nod my head, dusting my hands off on my jeans. "Thank-you, my ex-boyfriend bought it for me." I giggled at the bitter thought and cocked my head to the side. "Here." I then unhooked the gold chain from around my necklace and wrapped it around her tiny neck.

Pulling her dirty brown curls from her face. She had glistening blue eyes and tiny freckles under her eyes behind the brown smudges of dirt. "Early Merry Christmas." I say. She smiles big and dimples showed on her cheeks. She was precious.

"Thank you lady! The best Christmas ever!" she yells in excitement. I smile and a lump in my chest.

The little girl turned and ran towards her mom, showing her new gift off. The woman looked back at me and I smiled, letting her know it was no problem. "so you do have a heart?" I stood up and was about to reply, then realized it was the box guy from earlier. I scuffed.

"Who are you, kid? My stalker?" I ask, about to storm off away from him.

"No, my name is Nick and I noticed you with the little girl. I had to make sure you weren't hurting her feelings," he said in a snide tone.

"Ew, you don't even know me. Goodbye." I said, rolling my eyes and walking away.

Who was he to be judging me that way?

••••

To keep you guys interested in my page until my new updates are ready 😊 enjoy and comment please 😘