CHAPTER 9: Who's Better?

"What are these? I didn't know she can be this fast.", says Shinhae.

"That's what I'm trying to show you. She has just released her first solo mini-album. We can't just stand here, watch her and wait for her next move. This Saturday, both of you shall be performing live in the anniversary of the Music State. You should do really great to outperform her." Advices Felix.

"I'm afraid this will be a little too hard for me. Our MidTerm Examinations are fast approaching. I have lots of activities in school too.", complains Shinhae.

Music State is the most viewed and well-liked music TV station of South Korea. It has been existing for 95 years now.

A few moments later, Shinhae was called upstage to perform. They're in a morning talk show today. She tries to forget her problems for four minutes to rock and dominate the stage. After her performance, she sat down for an interview. As she freely talks with the host of the show, she stammered for a while when she suddenly saw Athena Park ready to come in. The host then asks her, "These days, wanting to follow your steps is a pretty model, Athena Park. Have you already heard of her?"

Athena Park, standing so confident crosses her arms and watches her respond so attentively.

"Yes, yes I know her...Athena Park is such a beautiful lady. From the very first time I saw her, I already knew she's going to be somebody in this industry." Compliments Shinhae.

Athena Park sneers.

"How nice of you. But... she has almost the same age as you. Some people just can't help but compare the two of you. What can you say about this?"

"She's a lot better than me. She started early in this industry - actually, she started as a model, right? Now she's trying a new endeavor and I'm sure she's going to be really good in it if she persists. I started as a singer then everything came out naturally after that. But she, she has all the foundations to really be a star.

A celebrity won't feel her existence in the showbiz industry if she doesn't get involved in issues and comparisons. It comes with the job so I completely tolerate such things."

"Now we're hearing the words of a real star. Thank You, Ms. Yang Shinhae. When we come back, we'll be having Athena Park. Please stay put, guys, we'll be back after a short break." Says the host.

After the take, Shinhae comes down the stage and Felix proudly welcomes her at the backstage. Felix can see how Athena looks at Shinhae so he tries to cover her. Athena is obviously trying to challenge Shinhae and possibly push her down; but he can't get why he feels that way and if he's right, why Athena's trying to do so. 

So he asks Shinhae. Shinhae hesitates to answer. After the commercial break, Athena starts to sing on stage. Then the interview about her new and first mini-album follows. After the interview, the show ends.

Shinhae and Felix run to Shinhae's van so they can immediately go to their next appointment but Felix forgot something in the studio. He steps out and comes back to the building. Meanwhile, Athena Park, also in a hurry, rides her van. Since her van and Shinhae's are of similar models and design, she rode the wrong van. The moment she entered, she started talking.

"I didn't know she was also there. What a mess. I hate it. Wait, I have to call my mom." She grabs her phone and dials her mother's number. "Mom." 

"Oh dear, I've seen you on TV, you were great!" says her mom.

Shinhae hears the voice of Athena's mom. She hears something suspicious. She tries to eavesdrop more.

"What's great of having the enemy around, mom? Why was she there? Why didn't you tell me?"