CHAPTER 7: Yellow-Signal Warning

VII. Yellow-Signal Warning

"This." S-Shin Entertainment Company's President and CEO, Sophia Shin says as she lays the photos down on the conference table. Her subordinates look at the photos as she endorses this newly-rising singer who started out as a commercial model. "This lady is going to be the next big star, I can feel it."

"Sorry to question your statements, Ma'am, but what have you seen in her that the other stars don't have?"

"Can't you see how beautiful she is? She can be edgy and cute, whatever she chooses. I've seen her a lot in TV commercials, billboards and photo ads. I can clearly see her ability to attract masses of people."

"But Ma'am, we spent three full years just to make Ms. Yang Shinhae shine as she does now, this new petty singer can't even release a platinum record as Shinhae does, she's a lot of times better than this...Whatever I call her." opposes Director Wang, a big stockholder of the entertainment company.

"Dir. Wang, why are you so afraid to make this new little star grow? You won't be affected in any way, will you? We will still earn a lot. We can never know if we have the opportunity to earn more unless we try. Like Ms. Yang Shinhae, have we seen her as glamorous as this the first time we saw her? You only endorsed her to the company so we trained her real hard and made a contract with her. We did not actually see her potentials at the start, only when we trained her. We made her to be the way she is now with no foundations within her. So, what more with this girl, who is quite well-experienced in working with the spotlight and cameras...not to mention how much time she still devotes on training a lot to nurture her talent and skills." 

The other members of the planning board begin to agree with Pres. Shin.

"Pres. Shin is somehow correct. Director Wang, what's happening to you? Why do you defend Shinhae's stardom so much?"

"So I guess we should have new projects for this newbie. Her name is Athena Park. To our writers and directors involved, please help me with this. Thank you. This meeting is adjourned." After she ended the meeting, she discreetly called Director Wang's attention.

"Director Wang, do you still have a problem with my proposal and decision?"

"Partly yes, Pres. Shin. You can't blame me, she's my goddaughter."

"I see. But if she deserves to stay in the limelight, she will, won't she? Maybe even if we put her down, people will keep pushing her up. Let's just watch what will happen in the next coming days."

"Yes, Pres. Shin. Let's just see what will happen next. And make the best out of it."

"It's good that you get my point, Director Wang. I know you're a bright man."

Director Wang bows to Pres. Shin. "If I may, I would like to take my leave, Pres. Shin."

"Okay, Director. Thanks as well. You're excused."

Felix received a phone call and he was told about what happened. He calls Shinhae at once.

Shinhae does not mind it as much; however, she gets confused why it's a very big deal for her godfather and manager.

She met with Felix in a caf\u00e9.

As she arrived, "What's the big fuss? I don't get what makes you so alarmed."

They ordered some stuff first, then as Shinhae sips her cup of coffee, Felix answers, "It's you. I don't know what keeps you so confident about your fame and career standing. Now that Madam Shin has found your possible match, what's going to happen to you? Especially with that attitude you have. She may run swiftly ahead of you."

"Is that all?"

"What?"

"Your word is wrong. I'm not confident, it's just that, I'm not sure if this is good for me or not. You know, if the things are flowing on my side or not."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm tired. I did not like this career path from the very start. It's only my mom who made me take this."

"Don't you know why?"

"Why what?"

"Why she did that."

"I don't know, and whatever it is, I don't care."

"As long as your family doesn't get reconciled back together as one, she wants you to stay on top. She wants you to capture everyone's attention so that one day, your father and sister may want to come back and you can be a happy family again."

"She's so rich. Why not do it herself instead? Why me?"

"You know how much pride your mother has. Even so, you still should. Don't you miss your sister?"

"Heck no. If I do, then I should've announced it to the world. That I have a twin sister; I'm yearning for her so I ask her to come back. Is that what you want me to do?" 

"Shinhae."

"Felix, let's not argue about this."

"There. That's the problem with you. Listen to yourself. Your attitude can smoothly bring you down if this Athena Park gets in the scene. You worked hard to get to where you are now. Will you just let it fly away so easily?"

"It's my career. I make the decision whether to continue this or not. If I want to end it, then - "

"I end too."

"What?"

"Shinhae, I have a family. My younger siblings only depend on me for our daily finances. And I... only depend on you. You're the last hope I have to not lose my job. Shinhae, don't you understand? You came to me as my luck. You flourished and grew a lot, you made the company earn a lot, so they made me stay and make another contract with them. I used to have that attitude like you. But when I had you, everything changed. The way your mom asked me to make you a star, the way it made me stand again and feel that I'm not a worthless man. Please, Shinhae. Help me. You're my only hope."

"What's this? You're being so melodramatic now. Stop it, please."

Felix kept looking at her straight to her eyes. "I need your help."

"Felix."

"Very much, Shinhae."

"Okay, okay."

"What?"

"I'll help."

"Really?" Felix suddenly smiled so big.

"In every way I could. If I don't care about it if it's only for myself, then I'll give more care for it now. For your siblings."

Felix cried for joy and hugged Shinhae. "Hey!" says Shinhae, irritated.

"Shinhae, you don't know how much this means to me. Thank you very much."

Felix can't stop smiling and crying.

"Okay, okay. Enough. Tsk."